Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Overheating:Coolant issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Default Overheating:Coolant issue

MY civic is overheating for some reason....... I had the radiator replaced brand new because there was a leak. It stopped for a day bu then all of a sudden it began to heat up again. I checked the coolant but cant seem to understand why the temperature is still going up?? Please help! Dont wanna blow my engine.

Old 01-11-2006, 09:16 PM
Default RE: Overheating:Coolant issue

maybe yer guage is faulty. or yer head gasket's gone. or there's air in the cooling system. thermostat mite be stuck.

are u losing coolant? good sign of head gasket failure.

bad grounds would sometimes cause my heat guage to go rite up to hot. but i could usually flicker my headlights and get it to return to normal position. it would bounce with the blinkers too.

air in the system can easily be bleeded out. but i assume yer mechanic would have bled the system after replacing hte radiator. maybe not tho.

improper ignitoin timing can also make it run hot. but for timing to be off someone would have had to change it.

Old 01-11-2006, 09:20 PM
HCF Member

There is a 95% chance your thermostat is stuck closed. The thermostat opens when it reaches a certain temperature, this lets the coolant go from the block into the radiator, which cools it down, then back to the engine it goes. If the thermostat gets stuck closed the hot coolant remains in the block, thus causing overheating. You can replace your thermostat, and its like a 5$ fix.

Old 01-11-2006, 09:59 PM

ORIGINAL: joey

maybe yer guage is faulty. or yer head gasket's gone. or there's air in the cooling system. thermostat mite be stuck.

are u losing coolant? good sign of head gasket failure.

bad grounds would sometimes cause my heat guage to go rite up to hot. but i could usually flicker my headlights and get it to return to normal position. it would bounce with the blinkers too.

air in the system can easily be bleeded out. but i assume yer mechanic would have bled the system after replacing hte radiator. maybe not tho.

improper ignitoin timing can also make it run hot. but for timing to be off someone would have had to change it.

Im not sure now i im losing coolant. when i did look in this moning it was about empty(i find weird since the radiator was just put in by the mechanic) so i refilled the coolant. once i did that it was normal but later on i drove somewhere and the temperature went up and down... What are signs of a blown head gasket? The timing was just changed on the car the same time the radiator was replaced. The mechanic says it may be the thermostat.... but the engine was replaed a few months ago, wouldnt the thermostat be repaced at that time? im not sure.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:03 PM

ORIGINAL: pcupo12

There is a 95% chance your thermostat is stuck closed. The thermostat opens when it reaches a certain temperature, this lets the coolant go from the block into the radiator, which cools it down, then back to the engine it goes. If the thermostat gets stuck closed the hot coolant remains in the block, thus causing overheating. You can replace your thermostat, and its like a 5$ fix.

I hope thats it I thought is was the simply the radiator because it had leaks so i had it replaced and it was fine the first day but then the next day i notice the temperature rise again...

Old 01-11-2006, 10:03 PM
HCF Member

not necessaily, a thermo is 5$ or less, and its easy to do, there are 2 screws. Def worth a shot.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:44 AM
HCF Member

Yeah, my dad replaced my thermostat in about 30 seconds with my car sitting at the curb. That was one of the first things we tried to fix my car's overheating problem (which was the head gasket).

It seems as though head gaskets seem to be a common issue with the Civics here, and based on my head gasket experience I'd say yours is up too. All my coolant was just "disappearing" with no real evidence of how it was escaping. How long had the car been driven when it started overheating? You can have your mechanic run a $20 pressure test and this'll show if there's a leak somewhere.

Good luck!

Old 01-12-2006, 05:02 AM

ORIGINAL: shellebelle

Yeah, my dad replaced my thermostat in about 30 seconds with my car sitting at the curb. That was one of the first things we tried to fix my car's overheating problem (which was the head gasket).

It seems as though head gaskets seem to be a common issue with the Civics here, and based on my head gasket experience I'd say yours is up too. All my coolant was just "disappearing" with no real evidence of how it was escaping. How long had the car been driven when it started overheating? You can have your mechanic run a $20 pressure test and this'll show if there's a leak somewhere.

Good luck!

I will check if the coolant is gone.........

Old 01-12-2006, 03:58 PM

heat your car up to operating temperature. touch the top an bottom rad hoses, as well as your heater lines. if they're all hot, then coolant is circulating and your thermostat is ok.

your thermostat wouldn't cause coolant loss. so unless it is leaking (which you would know by the puddle under your car) then i'd say your head gasket is gone and your coolant is burning off. it'd be an expensive job at a mechanic but it's not even that hard. i'd say get a haynes manual and do it yourself. it's just a bunch of bolts, hoses and plugs. remember what u took off of where and you're good. and you'll save yourslef hundreds.

Old 01-12-2006, 04:48 PM

ORIGINAL: joey

heat your car up to operating temperature. touch the top an bottom rad hoses, as well as your heater lines. if they're all hot, then coolant is circulating and your thermostat is ok.

your thermostat wouldn't cause coolant loss. so unless it is leaking (which you would know by the puddle under your car) then i'd say your head gasket is gone and your coolant is burning off. it'd be an expensive job at a mechanic but it's not even that hard. i'd say get a haynes manual and do it yourself. it's just a bunch of bolts, hoses and plugs. remember what u took off of where and you're good. and you'll save yourslef hundreds.
Hmm.... I'll check that. Th engine was just put in a few months ago, I wouldnt understand why the head gasket is gone? Im not a ruff driver either.

Quick Reply: Overheating:Coolant issue