Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 civic flashing ABS, SRS on while driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 08:08 AM
Default 2001 civic flashing ABS, SRS on while driving

Hi,

I have a 2001 Honda civic Ex coupe AT.

Issue:
While driving sometimes the below happens for few seconds.
1) SRS light on
2) ABS light on
3) some times green key light on dashboard on too (flashing)
4) i also saw the radio would lose power sometimes
5) The mileage meter (trip meter). I usually set it to trip A. After all the above happens I see that it toggles back to main reading. but readings are not lost at all.

Mostly 1 & 2 happens together always. Sometimes I would see 3, 4, 5 happen in addition to 1,2.

Please help. What could be the issue.

Last time I had some other type of electrical issue and I got my MICU replaced last year. I hope I am not into another big expense.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:10 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by hikaps14
Hi,

I have a 2001 Honda civic Ex coupe AT.

Issue:
While driving sometimes the below happens for few seconds.
1) SRS light on
2) ABS light on
3) some times green key light on dashboard on too (flashing)
4) i also saw the radio would lose power sometimes
5) The mileage meter (trip meter). I usually set it to trip A. After all the above happens I see that it toggles back to main reading. but readings are not lost at all.

Mostly 1 & 2 happens together always. Sometimes I would see 3, 4, 5 happen in addition to 1,2.

Please help. What could be the issue.

Last time I had some other type of electrical issue and I got my MICU replaced last year. I hope I am not into another big expense.
#4 is a super common symptom of a faulty/shorting ignition switch, especially if your radio is stock.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:36 AM

I went to Autozone to get my battery checked. There was lot of green stuff covering one of the battery terminal and they were not able to get any testing connection.
Then we cleaned up all that stuff with brush and the meter showed 'Bad Battery'. They could test the alternator though as battery is not good. Wondering if battery is the real culprit.

Are there any any specific symptoms which would find out a faulty battery..I am wondering if Autozone meter couldn't get a good reading as that green stuff made some connectivity issues.

Ignition switch - Is it common to have that faulty after 10 years. I searched and some threads with recall came up but couldn't find anything with my coupe model.