Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Parasitic battery draw

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 09:20 AM
Default Parasitic battery draw

I have a 95 Civic DX with a parasitic battery draw so I end up with a dead battery. I suspect the wiper control arm may be the issue. The lever won't stay firmly in the up/off position since something broke on the inside a few years ago. They go on when I drive over bumps, RR tacks, etc. How would I test for that? I've been reading up on fuses, and how to test with a multimeter. Is the arm even a viable suspect?

Old 08-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I think that everything related to the wipers is shut down when you turn the key off. So they really couldn't run the battery down. Having the switch turn itself on like that would annoy the crap out of me though, so I'd replace it anyway.

Check the light in the trunk goes out. The easiest way is to pop the trunk and immediately feel if the light is already warm from staying on.

Aftermarket stereo systems with separate amplifiers are also a big culprit. Make sure the amplifier shuts down with the key off.

Make sure the charging system is working. With the engine running but everything else turned off, measure voltage at the battery. It should be more than 13.5 volts. If the battery isn't getting a full charge in the first place, it will seem a lot like something is running it down.

The next test is to see if it is really something in the car draining it, or just a faulty battery that dies by itself. To do that, disconnect the battery when you park and then reconnect it right before you try to start up again. If it's still dead, it's not a parasitic draw.

Last edited by mk378; 08-11-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:54 PM
Default battery issues

Same here...had the dealership fix my 2012 ...apparently a update was required on a recall. Took the car out for a run with the auto lights/heated seats off and charged it up nicely. For what it's worth the battery is pretty small in these cars and myself, i will buy a new battery every 4 years, just to be one the safe side. As far as leaving it parked for a few weeks I think I will disconnect the battery and hook it up to a solar charger...just my .02 pennies though.

Last edited by SmyLee; 03-24-2014 at 10:37 AM. Reason: wrong info