Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

PCV valve question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 05:42 PM
Default PCV valve question.

Hello.

Does anyone know if PCV valves that apply to the different Civic models are interchangeable and to what extent?

I drive a 1997 HX 5-speed 2-door coupe, 125,000 miles. I was changing my oil/filter the other day and I have an oil consumption problem since I bought the car last year at 114,000 miles or so, so I decided to pop out the valve and, sure enough, no rattle. It was pretty late in the day and I use my car for delivery work, so I shot over to the only parts store that I knew was open for another 10 minutes - Advance Auto. I brought the old valve and told the dude what I needed and he said it'd be $2.99 and came back with an angled one and asked if mine was straight, which it was. So he popped back out and came back with another similar looking angled valve and said he couldn't find any straight ones and this one was $3.99. I needed to put something on for work the following day and they looked similar enough and cheap enough to take a shot, so I grabbed that one and cut maybe an inch off of the hose and kind of finagled the new valve in and tapped it into the breather box with a mini mallet, trying to guide the hose as much away from the intake manifold as possible.

In any case, I'm a bit OCD so I looked up some valves online and on the Advance Auto site and checked on a few application guides. The valve I ended up with is a Purolator PV1028. Their site lists it as being compatible CX, DX, and LX.. where EX, HX, and Si use a different one. However, some PCV valves on some site are listed as being compatible with more models than just three. Is it just the whim of the manufacturer, in terms of listing the applications. In other words, it stands to reason that if some valves work on all models, then all of them should.. right? My assumption is that it has more to do with the shape of the valve than the actual application. Or does it have to do with VTEC? Is my engine different than the others?

Sorry if this is obvious stuff. I'm just a regular delivery guy who works on his old motorcycle and tries to do as much of his own work on his car as he can on his spare time. I'll probably end up hunting down a valve I'm sure works or just go OEM. I know it's an easy/cheap fix either way, I just have to get a new muffler and bumper on before inspection and I'm trying to save myself some time from having to go down and pull the oil filter again to get at the thing.

Thanks.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:37 PM
HCF Member

aren't these valves spring loaded so there wouldn't be a rattle ???