Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Pop from front pass. side when wheel at a specific angle

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Default Pop from front pass. side when wheel at a specific angle

Hello HCF members, here is a little background about my problem. 2001 Honda Civic LX, there is a pop from the right front side of the car when the steering wheel is turned one full revolution and another 30 degrees to the right. It will only pop in that position, and if I move the wheel back and forth in that area I can consistently re-create the noise on command.

Here is a video of the sound I am talking about.
The camera was placed in the foot area of the passenger seat. The popping as heard from the drivers seat is not as deep and bassy as when the phone is against the floor like in the video. The engine is running but the car is stationary.

Before I took the car into a local shop I replaced the tie rod end links on each side of the car. The problem still remained. Before the car went to the shop, the popping happened pretty much throughout the entire range of the steering wheel whenever turning. There is no clunk when hitting bumps.

Here is a pic of what the shop has replaced. Again, this drastically limited the amount of times there is a pop, but it is still there.

Anybody have any ideas what could be causing this pop? I have more pics of all the pieces of the suspension on the car, checked everything and it's all tight and nothing looks out of shape. Here is a link to a slideshow for pics of all the pieces I checked. (Suspension Slideshow by swater96 | Photobucket)

Old 07-17-2013, 12:42 PM
Recognized HCF Member

It appears you were ripped off, as a new knuckle comes with a new lower ball joint already installed in it. I'm assuming the whole reason to repace the knuckle was to get a new ball joint, since it isn't offered separately.
Honda Automotive Parts

Since you can make the noise happen with the car sitting still, have someone turn the wheel while you listen outside and try to hear exactly where it comes from. The design of this suspension makes the whole strut and spring assembly rotate with the steering. Thus there is a big bearing at the top of the strut, likely the noise is from there.

Last edited by mk378; 07-17-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:41 PM

I will start off by saying I hate shops. Bunch of thieving liars most of them are, especially chains/corporations

Do the knuckles from Honda or w/e they were bought from already have the bearings in them as well?

MK is probably correct, as he usually is But I have to go with the obvious CV axle making the noise, regardless if you hear the noise when not moving.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
I will start off by saying I hate shops. Bunch of thieving liars most of them are, especially chains/corporations

Do the knuckles from Honda or w/e they were bought from already have the bearings in them as well?

MK is probably correct, as he usually is But I have to go with the obvious CV axle making the noise, regardless if you hear the noise when not moving.
Thank you for your input. I agree with the hate towards shops. I never take my cars in except for this one time. Next time i'll get the free inspection and leave after that. I think the first post is probably on the ball. I had an initial feeling that it had something to do with the spring or shock absorber due to the sound from the cabin. I will have a friend turn the wheel today and ill put my ear right on top of the strut tower and see what I can figure out. It is kind of weird, because the left side's spring and shock absorber are in rougher condition but make absolutely 0 sound. Anyways, thank you for the responses, ill keep you guys updated on my findings!

The noise happens while driving and stationary btw. Ill attach pics of the right side below.

Last edited by Swater96; 07-17-2013 at 03:59 PM.