Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Possible cam timing issue?...and a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Question Possible cam timing issue?...and a few questions

Hello and thanks for reading...

I have a 2000 honda civic ex 1.6l sohc d16y8. I recently (2500 miles) had a rebuilt motor put in and it's had various problems, hence why i'm posting here instead of talking to the mechanic.

My question(s) is how would I know if the cam timing is off? I'm asking because I had a different motor (same year/specs) with the cam timing off and the dizzy was way advanced when the cam timing was off, and then when I set it properly, the dizzy was right in the middle of adjustment.

The mechanics have the distributor on the current motor fully retarded and supposedly the ignition timing is within spec. I have had a gun on it and it is in. But every time (before the new motor) when my timing was set correctly, the dizzy was about in the middle. Am I being overcautious, or am i correct in thinking the cam timing is off? Should I push for them to pull the cover and recheck? If the cam timing is off but ignition timing is correct, does this cause the valves to open and close where they should? And lastly (sorry, Im' a newb), if this isn't fixed will it cause me trouble down the road?

I would just check it by taking it apart, but I dont want to void my warranty.

Thanks for reading, and any help, thoughts, etc.

~JD

Last edited by techlight; 08-27-2012 at 01:33 PM. Reason: add motor type