Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Power Steering Fluid Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 07:47 AM
Default Power Steering Fluid Leak

I only drive my civic once or twice a week. As it is sitting the power steering fluid is leaking out onto the ground? What can this be? Thanks Kevin

Old 04-30-2012, 08:08 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by atkinson40
I only drive my civic once or twice a week. As it is sitting the power steering fluid is leaking out onto the ground? What can this be? Thanks Kevin
power steering fluid leak maybe

Old 04-30-2012, 08:11 AM

Have you checked the hoses? Do you know where the leak is coming from? Check the low-pressure hose, as that will be the cheapest to replace, unless it's in a package with the high-pressure side...

Old 05-01-2012, 06:30 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by briceman124
power steering fluid leak maybe
LOL

OP - whatever you do, while its still leaking be sure to keep it topped off. If you run it dry, you'll kill the power steering pump. And that ain't cheap, nor is it fun to change.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:02 PM
HCF Member

I tried to climb under your car to inspect for your leak but for some reason I can't find your car. Go figure.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:07 AM

I raised the car and inspected underneath. There is a boot/belows that has a little nipple and a hose connected to the nipple. It seems that around where the nipple goes into the boot it is leaking. Is there supposed to be fluid in the boot/belows. -Kevin

Old 05-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

No, the boot should be dry inside, it is just to keep dust out. Fluid coming out there means that the seal in the rack is bad, which is the most common place to leak. It is highly recommended to replace the whole rack rather than try to repair it. Also note that many generic fluids are not suitable for Honda and will ruin the seals. Be sure to use Honda fluid or one that is specifically labeled as suitable for Hondas.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Default Thanks mk378

I called autozone and a rebuilt rack is $200. How much of a pain is it to change? Thanks Kevin

Old 06-27-2012, 02:56 AM

ahhhh shiiiii, I just got my car back after having a problem with my Hondata. I drive out of shop and call them asking if they took out power steering, they said no of course and I puled over seing I needed fluid. No biggie... riiiiight. 2 Days later my steering gets harder. I check and fluid is damn near empty again! My driver boot is they only one leaking. Do I have to change out my whole rack if only one side is leaking? Im selling this car... I put way to much money into it and everytime I get one thing fixed something else needs fixing. I put a crate b18C thinking f it, just start out fresh... now this.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:25 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Either replace the rack, or you can take the belt off to prevent running the pump dry, and drive with no power steering.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Fluid Leak