Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Power Window intermittent down/up

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 12:32 PM
Default Power Window intermittent down/up

2009 Honda Civic LX with only 10,300 miles (yes 10,300, i'm 70 years old). my left rear window intermittent don't open. then in a day or so or a couple mins the window will go down/up and work fine for a week or month or when ever. It has done that since I bought it new and I have sent to the dealer several times in over 4 years and they can't find a problem. By the time i get it to the dealer, the window will work fine again. Now the warranty is over and they want to try change parts with the modular ($300) on the left door, then they will change the switch (another $300), and then to the driver side switches, and the other modular. that will probably be over a $1000 or more for them to 'try' to fix the window by changing parts out of my pocket.

I did check the fuse and it's fine. I 'looked' inside the left door (with the pannel open) and checked that it's 'plugged' in correctly into the switch etc. the car looks new, the wires new look, no cracked wire insulation, the tracks are clean and inside the door are 'new' look. when the window works, it works correct, no 'rubbing' or noise. goes up/down easy. When it don't work, I get NO noises, no 'click' or 'Rrrrrr' sounds.

All the other 3 windows work fine. I just want the thing to work and don't want to pay up or more $1000s.

Also, when the window works, both buttons driver and left rear, and when it don't work, both buttons don't work.

thanks for any comments or helps.

Last edited by wb574; 04-29-2013 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Add more info
Old 05-01-2013, 05:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

First test would be to see if the motor wires get power when you press the button. If they do it would point to a bad motor or jammed mechanism.

Also I think the module has relays in it, it should click when the button is pressed.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:47 AM

You brought it in when it was under warranty and they could not figure out how to fix it. This should be documented, and they should be footing the bill.

You need to complain that you came in 4 times under warranty and it was never fixed. Now they want to try something because you'd have to pay out of pocket... that is unacceptable. You are in the right and should win a fight with the dealership over the fact that they should be paying for the repairs.

Even though the window started working by the time you got to the dealer, they did not adequately try to solve the problem. Talk to a manager. If they don't help you, ask to speak to their supervisor, and so on, until someone helps you. Going there in person should yield better results because they can't hang up on you and they won't want other customers to see you being treated poorly.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 05-01-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:25 AM

Thanks for the info. The window works now, i'll have to wait until it 'don't work' and then i'll check from the info you sent. I check the window everytime i get in the car. and i'm going to the dealer again a 'see what they say again'.
I didn't know that they documented it until last week. (When you get old your brain don't work to well.)

thank you.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:55 PM

I have similar problem previously on my Driver's window.

After troubleshooting, it's because of the rubber seal loose obstructing the movement of the window causing uncontrolled ups and downs.

You may wish to check on the window's seals/rubber.