Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Pressing gas won't rev engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Default Pressing gas won't rev engine

07 Honda Civic LX Coupe Automatic

I've noticed a problem with my Civic lately. When I press the gas pedal down, the engine doesn't rev and the RPMs don't go up. I am able to shift gears just fine, and can move forward and reverse, but can't do it faster than idle speed. I've checked my transmission fluid and it is full.

Additionally, the problem seems to only strike intermittently. Occasionally when I start up and shift into drive, I can feel a very rough gear transition. At that point, the gas pedal no longer works. I'll normally have to shut down and restart the engine to get going again.

Sometimes, the problem will start mid ride. I'll be driving and suddenly the gas pedal will stop working. The engine continues to work, but I get no revs or acceleration anymore. If I pull over, I can restart the engine and get going again.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Old 09-09-2011, 08:09 AM
HCF Member

does engine rev up with gear in neutral?
have you checked links or cables for proper rigging, associated with transmission ?

when you say gas pedal stop working, does it mean the pedal does not move?
or moves but no change in rpm?

Old 09-09-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by maachan513
does engine rev up with gear in neutral?
have you checked links or cables for proper rigging, associated with transmission ?

when you say gas pedal stop working, does it mean the pedal does not move?
or moves but no change in rpm?
The engine will not rev in any gear when this problem presents itself, not even neutral. And when I say the gas pedal doesn't work, I mean pressing it down does not create a change in RPM. I can press it all the way down to the floor like normal, I just can't get any response from the engine.

Oddly enough, the problem seems to have gone away on its own. Additionally, the once prominent "check engine" light is now gone. I highly doubt the problem is really gone, but it is weird to see no more warning light.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It is a "drive by wire" system. Pressing the gas pedal merely signals the engine computer that you desire to go faster. The computer, after it has decided that that would be an acceptable plan, activates the throttle plate to let more air and fuel into the engine. Unlike older cars, the gas pedal is not directly mechanically linked to the throttle plate.

You could check that the brake lights go out when you are not pressing the brake pedal. Very likely there is a "brake override" in software to help manage ruanways like certain Toyotas allegedly had. Or when it will not go, press and release the brakes a few times and then use your foot to pull the pedal all the way up.

Having the computer scanned for trouble codes will likely help find the problem. Whenever the computer turns the check engine light on, it also stores a number code for the reason why it did. Trouble codes remain in memory even after the check engine light is turned off because the problem was found to have resolved itself.

Last edited by mk378; 09-09-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:14 AM
HCF Member

I guess I am outdated as I didn't know if Civic came with that system.

I kinda like cables, springs and links for controlling engine and stuff, still.

Old 08-25-2021, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by ganymede425

I've noticed a problem with my Civic lately. When I press the gas pedal down, the engine doesn't rev and the RPMs don't go up. I am able to shift gears just fine, and can move forward and reverse, but can't do it faster than idle speed. I've checked my transmission fluid and it is full.

Additionally, the problem seems to only strike intermittently. Occasionally when I start up and shift into drive, I can feel a very rough gear transition. At that point, the gas pedal no longer works. I'll normally have to shut down and restart the engine to get going again.

Sometimes, the problem will start mid ride. I'll be driving and suddenly the gas pedal will stop working. The engine continues to work, but I get no revs or acceleration anymore. If I pull over, I can restart the engine and get going again.

Engine immobilizer indicate light also blink. Pls. check the fuse.. Right side of Engine

Old 06-10-2022, 06:54 AM

I'm experiencing the same issue any idea what might be wrong?

Old 06-10-2022, 09:35 PM

I'm having similar issue with my Honda Civic EX Saloon Automatic, please any idea what might be the cause?

Old 06-19-2022, 04:14 PM

change either the throttle body, accelerator pedal or if it was my car, do both

Old 04-09-2024, 03:34 AM

my car will idle but not rev with pedal pushed to the floor it idles at 500 with rough tickover.
My turbo shaft had snapped on the exhaust side. If you check turbo from intake side it looks and feels good. You have to check exhaust end. Big job as you have to either take exhaust off or Cat off. Check for smoke out of oil filler.
To test turbo, you can take O2 sensor out and start it. It will rev to about 2000 . This shows the turbo is busted.