Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

rattle 2002 EX

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 10:50 AM
HCF Member
Default rattle 2002 EX

2002 Civic EX 5spd 106K

Tinny sounding rattle ONLY under load (accelerating) AND in gear. Not too loud, drowned out with radio on. Slightly louder in 1st/2nd/3rd gear - but maybe only b/c the RPMs are higher and as I go faster, harder to hear the noise.

Does not make the rattle if the engine is revved in neutral.
No noise from transmission while under no load (no acceleration, just cruising).

I really thought it was the heat shield but I went under the car today and they both seem very tight. There is a long piece of exhaust from the cat with only 1 support until the muffler - maybe that is the source. I don't think it is an input shaft bearing or a throwout bearing b/c the noise is not there unless the car is in gear and accelerating.

My 6th gen civic sounded kind of like this and it was the heat shield around the front of the HX cat - I just clamped it tight and solved the problem. No heat shield to even try to clamp tight on this EX.

Any ideas? Maybe I'll just take the heat shields off - do you really need them anyway? I hope its not the transmission...thanks

Old 10-20-2011, 07:18 AM
HCF Member

Snosurfa7,

I am inclined to suggest that the tinny rattling sound upon acceleration is the result of a loose exhaust system component. One of the rubber mounting pieces could be worn (ref #8-10 in the diagram below) and is causing excessive play in some of the brackets. Additionally, one of the floor heat baffle plates (ref #24-26) could be loose.

Try inspecting these components and ensuring that they're all still in proper operating shape

*diagram courtesy of hondapartsnow.com; all rights reserved