Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rear Passenger Power Window Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 09:37 AM
Default Rear Passenger Power Window Problem

Hello, first time poster here. I'm having an issue with the rear passenger power window in my 2005 Honda Civic. In short, neither the rear passenger switch nor the driver's master switch will roll the window up anymore. Here are some specific symptoms:

1) Fuses are good. I checked this by switching out fuses from a working window with the non-working window; no change in symptoms.

2) The problem is not the driver's master window disconnect switch, since I verified that it is not activated.

3) The driver's master switch will not roll the window up or down.

4) The rear passenger switch will roll the window down, but not up. I found this to be quite odd...

5) The window motor is capable of rolling the window up. I know this because I took off the rear passenger door panel, disconnected the power cable to the motor, then ran a jumper wire directly from the car battery to the motor power cable. The window rolled up like a champ, and I was also able to roll it down when I reversed the polarity on the jumper wire. So the motor is working fine.

That's about all I know right now. Thoughts on what the issue could be?

Last edited by caliber2; 07-17-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:52 PM

having the same problem with the rear drivers window. Any solution?

Old 09-08-2014, 06:08 AM
Recognized HCF Member

This is often caused by broken wires between the driver's door and the rest of the car. They break where they flex every time the door is opened. You may be able to confirm this by opening the door, hold the non-working button down, and wiggle the wires. The circuits for all the windows go through the driver's door even when you use the switch on the other door.