We're adding and testing new features:  Create your Garage, used it? Give us some feedback here.
Honda Civic Forum Home - Honda Civic Classifieds - Civic Photo Galleries - Create an Account

Go Back   HondaCivicForum.com > General Automotive > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the HondaCivicForum.com.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2010, 11:10 AM
HCF Member

Default Remote alarm is broken. car won't start

The alarm system I have installed is by CODE ALARM. The item is CA5BLCTX ELVNTRCA PRESTIGE Audiovox. Since my remote no longer works, I am trying to locate the bypass switch under the dash. I am not having any luck finding it tho. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where else this switch may be located, and what it looks like? Primary goal is to start the car
DC 4-1 Ceramic Header
Exedy stage 1 clutch
17" Motegi MR7 Rims
B&M Short Shifter
Old 07-05-2010, 12:32 PM
HCF Member

Is it after a market alarm ? Did the battery go dead or did it just quit ?

If you can find the the switch you need you can bypass the starter kill relay by pulling the relay out of the socket and jumping the 30 and 87a pins in the socket.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:41 PM
HCF Member

Yes the alarm is aftermarket. Problem is the previous owner had it installed and I never found out where the bypass switch was. The remote still has power it just doesn't lock or unlock the car anymore. damaged chip im guessing. They hid this switch a little too well. I looked under entire dash and on the insides of bothkick panels. Damn this sucks.
DC 4-1 Ceramic Header
Exedy stage 1 clutch
17" Motegi MR7 Rims
B&M Short Shifter
Old 07-05-2010, 03:29 PM
HCF Member
2000 Honda Civic

On most alarms, you can pull the fuse and it will allow you to stat the car. So start there. I don't know if your exact alarm will behave this way or not, but its worth a shot.

Project Thread - '00 EJ8
Old 07-05-2010, 05:11 PM
HCF Member
1993 Honda Civic

Send a message via Yahoo to JRIDD

just unplug the brain and your golden
Old 07-05-2010, 05:19 PM
HCF Member
2012 Ford Focus
My Garage

kanarrjl

Umm no you guys are wrong all except for tonyhatchetman and he would only be right if it uses an external relay. Now let me explain... When properly installed an alarm system has starter kill and will only alow the vehicle to start when disarmed so you have 2 options either get somebody to come fix it or re-connect the starter wires. I'll tell you the colors if you tell me what year your car is. Im guessing its a 99 ex right?
Old 07-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Starter wire is black with a white stripe on most Civics. Since the alarm doesn't work anyway, I suggest removing it and rewire the car back to stock by splicing any wires that have been cut. Disconnect the battery before you start.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:36 PM
HCF Member
2000 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanarrjl View Post
Umm no you guys are wrong all except for tonyhatchetman and he would only be right if it uses an external relay. Now let me explain... When properly installed an alarm system has starter kill and will only alow the vehicle to start when disarmed
I'm an installer, its what i do for a living. The relays for the starter kills require 2 things to kill the starter: 1) 12v+ through the ignition wire and 2) a ground via the alarm. A relay is only able to operate when it detects both a +12V and a ground on terminals 85 and 86 receptively. When the fuse is pulled, or the brain is just disconnected from the wiring, the internal relays of the alarm can no longer function and therefore can no longer send that ground to the relay. The result is that the alarm is no longer able to function as a starter kill, or function at all for that matter.

This is why it is highly important to locate the brain of an alarm in a hard to find location. If you are able to easily find the brain, you can VERY EASILY disable any alarm by simply unplugging it.

Just as a little added info, a stater kill on an alarm only cuts the starter circuit when an alarm is set off by powering up the ignition. Setting off the shock sensor or opening a door, or setting off any other sensors will not trigger the starter kill to activate.

Project Thread - '00 EJ8
Old 07-05-2010, 09:02 PM
HCF Member
1993 Honda Civic

Send a message via Yahoo to JRIDD

Amen!!!
Old 07-06-2010, 05:44 AM
HCF Member
2012 Ford Focus
My Garage

kanarrjl

the whole point of a starter kill is, so that when somebody disconnects the module the vehicle will not start, either you are hooking them up wrong or you use a crap brand.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:44 AM

Tags
1997, 97, alarm, brains, car, civic, disable, disarming, honda, kill, remote, remove, start, starter, wont