Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Remove ball joints to replace half shafts???

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Default Remove ball joints to replace half shafts???

I'm ready to tackle replacing the half shafts on a 1996 Civic EX. The repair manual shows one of the steps as removing the lower ball joints.

Do you need to remove the ball joints to change out the half shafts or is it just shown if you were going to change the ball joints?

After reading all of the post on this forum regarding the removal of ball joints I'm not sure I'm ready for that one.

Thanks,

Bill

Old 09-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Default RE: Remove ball joints to replace half shafts???

I replaced the half shafts on my honda accord and I had to remove the lower ball joints to replace the hlaf shafts. I just removed the castle nut on the lower ball joint took a medium sized hammer and smacked the side of lower control arm a couple of times and the ball joint just popped off.Pushed the control rm down and removed the half shaft and reinstalled in reverse order. Hope this helps.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:50 PM
HCF Member

You dont HAVE to replace the ball joints to do the shafts... yes, im sure its better. But ive had mine out like 3 times now and i didnt replace a thing. The codder pins that go through the bolts and thats it.
i could tell you a write up, but without pics. I have had to do this a ton of times!

1. Barrow a ball joint seperator (fork tool) from local auto store. Its easier than a hammer... trust me, lol.
2. Jack side of car up of which your replaceing.
3.Remove wheel.
- The 2 bolts on the brake caliper. 12's i believe
- The Ball joint bolt, located right under neath, facing up. Theres a codder pin going through it. Its a 17.
4.Put the fork in between the control arm and the ball join. At the lower part of the boot. Try not to tear the boot or bad news.
5.Once the bolt is above the control arm, youll know.
6.At this time you can pry the (Half Shaft) out of the tranny.
7. The whole thing will be able to swing out away from the car with a screwdriver.
8.Watch for tranny fluid comming from the whole where the shaft goes.
9. Replace
10.lol, Installation is reverse of removal.

Let us know if you need help.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:59 PM

when i replaced mine, i was able to use a hammer like Big Red said. seperated the ball joints easily. tho it may not always work so a ball joint seperator would be handy.

ORIGINAL: xramseyx

You dont HAVE to replace the ball joints to do the shafts... yes, im sure its better. But ive had mine out like 3 times now and i didnt replace a thing. The codder pins that go through the bolts and thats it.
i could tell you a write up, but without pics. I have had to do this a ton of times!

1. Barrow a ball joint seperator (fork tool) from local auto store. Its easier than a hammer... trust me, lol.
2. Jack side of car up of which your replaceing.
3.Remove wheel.
- The 2 bolts on the brake caliper. 12's i believe(dont need to remove)
- Find The Ball joint bolt, located right under neath, facing up.
4.un-dimple the axel nut and use a 32mm socket and BIG break bar to removie axel nut.
5. Removethe codder pin going through it. Remove castle nut, its a 17mm.
6.Put the fork in between the control arm and the ball joint. At the lower part of the boot. Try not to tear the boot or bad news.
7.Once the bolt is above the control arm, youll know.
8.At this time you can pry the (Half Shaft) out of the tranny.
9. The whole thing will be able to swing out away from the car with a screwdriver.
10.Watch for tranny fluid comming from the whole where the shaft goes.
11. Replace
12.lol, Installation is reverse of removal.

Let us know if you need help.
^fixed. i'd suggest draining the tranny fluid to keep fluid from spilling everywhere. i dont know if its necessary but it sure wouldnt hurt and its easy to do.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:32 PM
HCF Member

Your right. You have to do that anyhow, if your replacing..... my mistake, because we used the same ones.. [:@]There are many ways to do everything.

See, the only reason i went the route of taking off the giant A$$ 32mm axle bolts is because they are NOT, and i mean NOT easy. Me and my brother broke an extension and twisted the end on his breaker bar trying to get those off. We managed to get one off... using a torch and everything.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:21 AM

Okay so I realize this thread is from years ago.. google just popped it up. Any who.. So I just replaced my half shafts a few days ago.. now.. the lower ball join t on the drivers side we couldnt get it to seperate.. We bought the fork used a sledge hammer but it wouldnt move.. anywho we worked around it and got the axle replaced some how.. Now just 2 days ago.. the car started to pull left bad and I hit a curb heard a POP and started skidding for about 50 feet... Here is the result
http://picasaweb.google.com/10075392...eat=directlink
need to know how to get the rest of the axle out.. lol and how hard it really is to replace a lower ball joint Thanks for the help if you can

Last edited by Pesh; 06-13-2010 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Wrong linkage
Old 06-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I use a small Pitman tool to separate the lower ball joint.

Name:  sjdiscounttools_2073_543328544.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  8.3 KB

Some auto parts stores offer a free rental for this tool. Or it costs about $15.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:44 PM
gwl
HCF Member

I popped the ball joint off using this method - video. If you need to remove and install new ball joints, you will need rent the standard and the supplement kit. The supplement kit has the correct pieces for Honda cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISY8b...layer_embedded