Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Removing Airbag/SRS light

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 05:18 AM
Default Removing Airbag/SRS light

ok i removed my air bag from passenger side but srs light is staying on .. do i have to take this to the dealer to dissengage it or should i not worry about it.. will it cause problems with my driver airbag if SRS light is on ?

Old 06-19-2006, 12:28 PM
Default RE: Removing Airbag/SRS light

The SRS light is not going to shut off because you removed the airbag. The SRS system is sensing that something is wrong continually...the airbag is gone. It is programmed to monitor the drivers side and the passenger side airbags, and as long as that airbag is disconnected, the trouble light can't be turned off, unless you disable the light itself. As for the operation of the driver's side airbag, drive at your own risk. With the light on, the systems are too unpredictable to guess whether the airbag will fire or not. They may for one situation, and not for another. Just don't let your insurance know.

Old 06-25-2006, 04:45 PM

bumping this back up.. hoping someone who has done this knows how to do this.. i was told it causes failed emissions.. honda wants to charge me a diagnostic fee just to check the problem..wont tell me over phone whether it can be dissengaged or not.. tried looping circuit but didnt work

Old 06-25-2006, 05:13 PM

Looping circuit won't work bc I believe the SRS device hooked up to the airbag changes the voltage of the ground wire to use as a signal. I have this same issues but I just adjusted my steering wheel so I can't see the SRS light when I'm driving, hopefully sometime this summer I will be able to take a look at the SRS system in more detail and come up with a solution.

Old 06-25-2006, 05:15 PM

I have seen airbags removed before and have done many airbag diagnostic procedures. I know exactly how to shut the light off, with or without a scanner. You can certainly erase the code, but as soon as you do it will turn right back on, like I told you before. Also you can't loop the circuit because there isn't a way to replicate the circuit inside the airbag unit and trick the system into believing the airbag is there. Besides, don't try anything stupid like that because it may just set off the driver's airbag. Who in the world told you it affects emissions? The SRS system is completely independent of the ECM or any engine system and it just isn't possible. If you really insist on trying to shut off the light, there are other posts that have been archived with the information you need.

Old 06-25-2006, 05:17 PM

If you are talking about that lil trick with the fuse panel and speaker wire that won't work if you took your airbag out.

Old 06-26-2006, 04:17 AM

person who said about emissions said if any codes are thrown when they hookup the device it could fail.. so not sure on this until i try it

Old 06-27-2006, 09:42 AM

^ I just recently had my civic emissions tested and it passed no problem. My SRS light is always on, I removed my airbag, rear seatbelts, drivers seatbelt(I have a harness). I'm in PA so I don't know how strict your state is.

Old 06-27-2006, 02:47 PM

Like I said before, the airbag(SRS) system is completely independent of the ECU and emission controls. It doens't matter what state you are in, when the testing facility links up with your OBDII it doesn't read airbag codes. All they check for is that the initial "Readiness Tests" that the OBDII system does (primary/secondary O2, catalyst, EVAP, etc.) have been completed satisfactorily and no faults have been stored. If everything is checks out, you pass...end of story.

Old 06-27-2006, 04:22 PM

Alright.. thanks guys.. im in same state Chimera.. so you just made me feel alot better.. will just check into removing the light..

Quick Reply: Removing Airbag/SRS light