Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Replaced distributor car ran now wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Default Replaced distributor car ran now wont start

To make a long story short. I have a 1994 Honda Civic EX The o ring was leaking so I went to replace it not knowing that the dizzy adjusted the timing. the car ran fine for a while I did put in new spark plugs car still ran fine. Same day Went to start the car and it would not start. Bought new dizzy online installed it today adjusted it to where timing seemed okay enough to get to to someone who could get it perfect for me car ran great for about 15 minutes then I out of nowhere lost power and had to pull over and be towed home. Now car trys to start but will never startup I am at a loss as to where to start now. What got me was as i got it to the point where it wouldnt start. bought new dizzy installed it it started right up. Am I frying the whole dizzy?

Old 07-06-2013, 09:55 PM
HCF Member

You might wanna check to see if the spark plug wires are in the right places on BOTH ends...that's where I would start.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:35 AM
Recognized HCF Member

This would be a good time to step back and go through the whole "cranks but won't start" troubleshooting drill rather than immediately assuming that the problem is the distributor.

If it is a spark problem, the coil in the distributor is prone to blow out from firing into an open circuit, such as running with a spark wire disconnected or having a bad spark wire.