Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Replaced Pass Side Axle Shaft, Now Car Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 01:43 PM
HCF Member
Default Replaced Pass Side Axle Shaft, Now Car Won't Start

Oh this is just LOVELY! My passenger side axle shaft was getting to the point where it was ready to drop out of the car, so I erred on the side of caution and replaced it today. Got to a point where I needed a pickle fork to get the lbj out, and a buddy was bringing it home with him from his shop. Well, while waiting I decide to replace the wires/plugs, got some hesitations under load. While the car is up on the jack, and the wires/plugs are in place, I started the car. Ran just fine, purred even. Wondered just how the hell the thing ran with 2.2 gap on old friggin plugs, garbage wires...Oh, and a mouse nest in the air box (replaced the air filter too).

Anyway, car started just fine. Ran like a top.

So buddy comes over with the fork, and 5 minutes later the lbj is out. Nice! Go about my business replacing the shaft, and then attaching strut tower and lbj again. Then I torque down the axle bolt and put the wheel back on. Go to start the car, it won't friggin start! WTF!!!?!?!? Just keeps whining over and over again, with no catch.

My thought is that maybe I pooched the timing belt? It was in gear while I was doing the install, needed the resistance to torque it down.

Ideas!??!?!

Old 12-29-2007, 07:36 PM
Chubby Chaser
Default RE: Replaced Pass Side Axle Shaft, Now Car Won't Start

what year and make civic??jw check if its a spark or fuel problem narrow down your options

Old 12-30-2007, 01:48 AM
HCF Member

Sorry, should have included that. 1996 Civic DX, 5spd.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:00 AM
Recognized HCF Member

As mentioned by 94civichatchback, make sure you hear the fuel pump momentarily make a humming sound when you turn the ignition key to ON but don't start the engine.

If the fuel pump hums, then you likely have a problem with the distributor coil or ICM. Also verify that the plug wires are connected in the proper order and that the distributor connector is not disconnected.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:40 AM
HCF Member

Pull the timing belt cover to find out for sure. You'll need to turn the engine to #1 TDC to check the marks to see if you jumped a tooth or three anyway. I seems odd that unless you felt the resistance give suddenly several times while torquing the axle nut, that you might've caused the timing belt to jump teeth or break altogether though. (Stranger things have happened, however)

Have someone stand on the brake pedal the next time you need to torque a wheel nut... just to be sure.

Define 'whine.' Is the entire engine turning over, or does it sound like starter motor is free-wheeling? (not engaging the flywheel) If so, tap the back of the start motor with a ratchet (or similar sized tool/small hammer) a few times (tap - not pount the crap out of). Using the pickle fork (and hammer, I'll assume) might've knocked some carbon loose inside the starter motor, preventing the Bendix motor from engaging.

Also check all of your wiring harnesses for chewed wires (you mentioned mice). They might've chewed up your wires to the point that when the hammering with the pickle fork happened, they finally lost connection somewhere.

Finally - be happy this happened at home.

Good luck and let us know what happened.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:13 AM
HCF Member

Runs just fine now.
Turns out it was severely flooded. Flatrate friend of mine stopped by, and had it running in less than 5 minutes after he got there. Pretty much diagnosed the problem, got in and floored it and cranked the crapola outta the engine. Complained and whined, then fired over and runs awesome now. So, for future reference, flatr8 friend says that in a flooding condition putting the pedal to the floor stops the flow of fuel thru the rails. Hell, I dunno, but it's what he does for a living and does it damned well.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:51 PM

Yea, fuel injection [ mash to floor]
Carbuerated [ pump it ]

I've always been told these tricks when attempting to fire a car that wont fire.