Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

replacing harmonic balancer asap

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 06:36 PM
HCF Member
Question replacing harmonic balancer asap

Ok so my harmonic balancer decided it wanted to leave me while I was driving, and it took my alternator belt with it. Nowi have to go to a junk yard to try and find one. My question is, what year civics can I get a harmonic balancer and alternator belt from? And how would I got about
removing it. What tools would I need in order to remove it. Thanks a lot.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:30 PM
HCF Member

Im not sure on what years you can pull one off of. But i do know they arent easy to get off. I used my 1/2 drive snapon impact to get mine off and it took some time to get loose and its been off before to replace the timming belt. I think you would be better off having the junk yard pull one off for you or u might spend alot of time out there and still have to have them take it off. Good luck

Old 01-21-2010, 04:22 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It's a simple steel pulley not a balancer. I think anything from the '90s will all interchange. Some have the third place for the power steering belt and some don't. You also need the little square key, washer and bolt. The bolt needs to be TIGHT (on the order of 400 ft-lbs) to keep it on. Don't drive without it because there's nothing holding your timing belt on now except for rubbing on the plastic cover.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:08 AM
HCF Member

the thing is, i dont have that plastic cover. the motor came with out. is there a picture somewhere of what it looks like. and what tools would you say i need to remove it/put it back on. and what one do i need the one with the third place for ps or the one that doesnt. im going to be hitting the junk yards today after school. should i just have them remove it or can i do it with not much trouble.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:18 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You need an impact wrench with a 17 mm socket. Removal is simply to unscrew the bolt by turning counterclockwise (it is conventional right hand threads like most bolts) with great force. Then the pulley slides off the shaft, be sure not to lose the little key which fits in a slot in the pulley and the shaft.

Also take a 10mm socket and take the plastic timing belt covers off of the parts car, you really should have those to prevent a foreign object from falling into the timing belt, which would probably lead to a blown engine.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:22 AM
HCF Member

the thing is i dont have an impact wrench. i was planning on going with the big ratchet wrench and the socket with a long pipe to push down on. hoping that would be enough. and should i take the bottom and top plastic off. or just the bottom?

Old 01-21-2010, 06:17 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Using a long lever you will need to keep the engine from turning somehow. Remember 400 foot pounds of torque means a lever 4 feet long and the ability to apply 100 pounds of force to the end.

Get enough parts to make your car complete. To remove the upper plastic cover you will need to take the valve cover off partway.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:28 AM
HCF Member

damn, this sucks. im going to call the junk yard and have them remove it for me. and i have a upper plastic in my garage somewhere. but if i remove the valve cover, im going to need a new gasket for it correct? and how would i go about placing the bottom plastic on. and i can use the plastic from the d15 bottom and top. or does it matter?

Old 01-21-2010, 09:21 AM
HCF Member

Ok, so the local junk yards don't have what I need, besides one. I asked how much it will be if they removed it for me, and he said 20 for the piece, and then they charge you by the hour on how long it will take to remove. Knowing them they
probably will say it took them 2 hours to get off and its 20 and hour. So I'm just having my girl bring me the pieces. Thanks for the help mk.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:18 AM
HCF Member

ive got something to add, you don't want to use a used alt belt just spend the 3.76 more and get a new one.

Quick Reply: replacing harmonic balancer asap