Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Replacing my A/C compressor, few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:23 AM
HCF Member
Default Replacing my A/C compressor, few questions.

Well, my compressor went out, (actually the clutch went out and the bolt that it fits on got bent) so I will need a new compressor, drier, belt.... etc.

First off. What do you guys think of aftermarket compressors ? like sanden and the like ? are they okay to use or are they absolute crap ? most of them come with a year warranty or better but I am still skeptical, also how would they compare to a remanufactured OEM one ? I can find new aftermarket Kits(compressor, oil, expansion valve, and O-rings) for about 300 - 400 which is about half of what I would pay for JUST the compressor new from the stealership. Anyone have any experience with aftermarket/reman. compressors?

Second: is this a job I should do myself ? I have gotten quotes from a few mechanics that range from 900-2000 (parts and labor), I was thinking of getting everything installed myself and then taking it to a place and having them flush and charge it (about $100). I don't mind working on my car and have done most of my repairs myself so far but never fooled with any A/C systems. but i don’t want to royally screw anything up.

and last: Do you guys know of any place that has a good installation guide ? I have the .pdf service manual but it still leaves me with a few questions....

Any help or stories of doing this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 04-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Replacing my A/C compressor, few questions.

If it doesn't leak and only the end of the shaft is bent you may be able to put a clutch kit on your old one.

For most models, Honda bought the compressors from Sanden. The new one you buy at a dealer will be Sanden. Beware that there were some Chinese-made "sanden knock offs" that may even have an illegal copy of the label to look like the real thing. (though, maybe the real Sandens are also made in China now, like everything else). Buy from a reputable source. There are Honda dealers online that sell genuine parts at a substantial discount.

I wouldn't bother replacing the expansion valve because of a compressor clutch failure. Do replace the drier. If the refrigerant hasn't already leaked out it needs to be removed first. It is illegal to just let it out to the air.

Parts replacement is simple but realize the PAG oil is completely different from motor oil, it is not as stable. It mixes with water, and actually absorbs water from the air readily. Water mixed with the PAG will destroy it's lubricating properties. Therefore don't leave the system open to air any longer than necessary. Whenever you disconnect lines from a part, replace the o-rings and reconnect the new part as soon as possible.

Follow the instructions with the compressor about how much oil to put in. Too much oil in the system is bad. If the compressor comes with oil in it I suggest draining it out (it may have absorbed water during storage) and replacing with the exact same amount of new oil.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:48 AM
HCF Member

any online genuine dealers you can think of off the top of your head ???? i would look around myself but i am at work right now and pressed for time. so if you don't know of any just call me a lazy needy bastard and I will get to it later

Old 04-23-2008, 05:10 AM
HCF Member

I this a job that I should attempt to do myself ?? i have a quote for 900.00 from a reputable shop or i can get all of the parts for about 350 and do it myself. what would your suggestion be ???

Old 04-24-2008, 02:38 PM
HCF Member

seriuosly ?? no one has had to do this before or have an idea of what is should cost or the level of difficulty ?

Old 04-24-2008, 03:46 PM
HCF Member

part of the reason why most folks do not do a/c repairs like this is b/c it's against the law to release the r134a refrigerant into the air. as a result, you need to capture all the refrigerant b/4 you can make the replacement for the compressor. this requires a special machine which is expensive. most of us just do not have that kind of money to get a machine like that nor would it be worth it to buy one.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:06 PM
HCF Member

yeah i know, my refrigerant leaked out ages ago... but my last question was geared towards how much should i pay to have it done ? if it was worth $900 or so ?

Old 04-24-2008, 06:26 PM
HCF Member

i'm not sure why it would cost 900 to replace a compressor. that seems high to me. even if the guy charges 400 for the compressor, that's 500 just for labor. even if the guy charge 90/hr that's still a 5.5 hr job? that seems high to me.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:11 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The big advantage of paying a shop to do it is you get a guarantee on the whole job.

At least one of the national quick-lube chains offers a service where you can come in and have the refrigerant removed before you open the lines, or the system evacuated and recharged after you have worked on it. They don't do anything else to A/C systems. If it has already leaked out you don't have to deal with removal. (Note that it is illegal to cause a "leak" on purpose.)

Old 04-25-2008, 12:54 PM
HCF Member

mk378, which national chain is this?

Quick Reply: Replacing my A/C compressor, few questions.