Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

right rear door won't open from inside or outside

Old 09-24-2007, 05:39 AM
HCF Member
Default right rear door won't open from inside or outside

The guy I bought my civic from told me he flipped the switch, which I think is supposed to be a child-lock or something, to the lock position on the inside of the door and he said after that the door wouldn't open even with the door unlocked. It won't open from the inside or the outside. Is there some way I can fix this w/o having to go to the dealer/mechanic? Thanks.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:02 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: right rear door won't open from inside or outside

well dang that sucks.... but i think youll be able to fix it.... first pop out the bottom of the rear seat and try to take off the door panel. now im not positive where all the screws are at on the door but id asume its like my coupes front doors and only a few screws with mostly clips on the door panel.... would be best to remove the door panel on the OPENING DOOR that way ya know how exactly it comes off.... then check out the rods inside the door and everything! get your hand in thier and start pullen and pushen on rods up and down and hopefully its just a rod came off or the lock rod is just stuck to lock.... like if its power locks maybe the lock actuator wont work so its stuck to lock...
and if ya get the door open turn the child switch off and test the door latch again BUT without closing the door... use like a large screw driver or something to move the latch closed and try to open it with the handles again....

Old 09-26-2007, 10:20 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

well dang that sucks.... but i think youll be able to fix it.... first pop out the bottom of the rear seat and try to take off the door panel. now im not positive where all the screws are at on the door but id asume its like my coupes front doors and only a few screws with mostly clips on the door panel.... would be best to remove the door panel on the OPENING DOOR that way ya know how exactly it comes off.... then check out the rods inside the door and everything! get your hand in thier and start pullen and pushen on rods up and down and hopefully its just a rod came off or the lock rod is just stuck to lock.... like if its power locks maybe the lock actuator wont work so its stuck to lock...
and if ya get the door open turn the child switch off and test the door latch again BUT without closing the door... use like a large screw driver or something to move the latch closed and try to open it with the handles again....
I've taken off door panels before off my last two cars, but I've never removed a rear seat (or a front seat for that matter). What do I need to look for to do that? Do I have to get underneath the car and take out some bolts? I have no clue. Thanks for your first response.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:30 PM
HCF Member

THe back seats are molded in the car, you can remove them like the front seats. Remove the cushions, you'll have more space to work on the door.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:11 PM

I have the same problem with my car on the other side. Did you ever get this fixed. If so, how?
Rick