Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

screeching

Old 01-31-2013, 08:01 AM
HCF Member
Default screeching

Whenever it's really cold, or really wet outside, my car makes a loud screeching sound... I've heard different advices - serpentine belt (most believable), calipers rotors or pads, also stress on the pulleys....

So, this sound activates for MANY crazy things - I start up the car, and when I switch on the lights, it'll start! I know, crazy! ... If it's really cold or wet, it'll start and stop with turning the heat on or off... If I turn sharply, it happens... Sometimes it happens randomly. Sometimes, it's screeches REALLY loud for like 400 ft (at the most)... It mainly happens with the heat on I notice.

So if it is the serpentine, will I possibly have to change the pulleys as well as the belt(s)?? Cuz this seems to be the first and the cheapest stop I should make for the car.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The belt may just need tightening. The 2000 model has 3 separate belts instead of a serpentine design. One belt is each dedicated to the alternator, power steering, and A/C.

When you turn on electrical equipment the alternator has to work harder, which puts more stress on the belt. If the belt cant handle the load it will slip and screech. The most likely time for alternator belt-related screeching is just after starting, since the alternator has to recharge the battery from what the starter used. Also if you drive through a puddle and splash water on the belt it may screech until it dries out.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by mag_nesium
Whenever it's really cold, or really wet outside, my car makes a loud screeching sound...
Greeting,
I have honda civic 2010, and yesterday my car just started making sharp noise when i start my car and start moving.
i notice the screeching starts when i first start my car, and after i drive it up to about 30 mph and break a little, the noise goes away.

mk378, is 2010 model using 3 belts also?
mag_nesium, can you report how you fix that issue?

Last edited by RavensCivilOwner; 02-02-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:15 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
The belt may just need tightening. The 2000 model has 3 separate belts instead of a serpentine design. One belt is each dedicated to the alternator, power steering, and A/C.

When you turn on electrical equipment the alternator has to work harder, which puts more stress on the belt. If the belt cant handle the load it will slip and screech. The most likely time for alternator belt-related screeching is just after starting, since the alternator has to recharge the battery from what the starter used. Also if you drive through a puddle and splash water on the belt it may screech until it dries out.
Exactly what I was going to say. Check the belts and tighten them accordingly