Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

sea foam question

Old 07-18-2006, 11:58 AM
Default sea foam question

I have an 89 civic lx 1.5 fi,with 196,000 on the clock,I bought a can of sea foam,I heard it works wonders,but my question is once you put it in the oil should you drain your oil and refill with new oil after,the cleaning process is complete our can you leave it in there,I have never used this stuff before,so forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question

Old 07-18-2006, 12:37 PM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: sea foam question

Not a stupid question at all. I'd say if your oil is close to change time anyway, just run it with the Sea Foam in the oil for a week or so, then get an oil change. You are safe to run it for quite some time (obvoiusly within your oil's lifespan) though.

Old 07-18-2006, 02:01 PM

is it safe to use on a high mileage engine? im gena be changing my oil in about a week or so and have been considering using this for a while now. my friend did it on his car and he said it did help a lil bit. my only concern is if its safe to use on an older engine...

Old 07-18-2006, 05:49 PM
HCF Member

I don't believe in ANY oil additives... not for the motor, the tranny or any moving part.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:25 AM

cool,thanks guys I will give it a try and let you all know how it works out

Old 07-19-2006, 07:23 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: pWnEdU

I don't believe in ANY oil additives... not for the motor, the tranny or any moving part.
It's not an additive, it's a cleaner.

civicexracer, I would think that Seafoam would improve an older/higher mileage engine even more than a lower milage one. More crap to clear out if you know what I mean.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:27 AM
HCF Member

Don't forget to put some seafoam in a cup and suck it into the engine via a vacuum hose. That should clean the crap on your valves and what not. I tried it on my car and it seemed to help out the idle problem.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:31 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

Don't forget to put some seafoam in a cup and suck it into the engine via a vacuum hose. That should clean the crap on your valves and what not. I tried it on my car and it seemed to help out the idle problem.
^Definitely!! My idle was smooth as silk after doing that.

Old 07-19-2006, 03:58 PM
HCF Member

and also dont be scared after you put some in the intake and see the car start smoking. this is normal and will clear out over time. my car took damn near 2 days to completly stop burning crap out. seafoam is the shizzy and i will always stand by it.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:45 PM
HCF Member

on a really high mileage motor, I only use an ounce or so in the intake, then drive around a while, then do a little more. do that a couple times gradually, since if you knock too much carbon buildup off too fast, its possible to get a chunk of it stuck somewhere it shouldnt be and cause damage. but if you ramp up to the normal amount, it should be ok. Ive had nothing but good luck with it, its just a precaution.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sea foam question