Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

squeek/squeal while accelerating at a low rpm

Old 05-10-2009, 09:51 PM
HCF Member
Default squeek/squeal while accelerating at a low rpm

Hey guys I have a proble I will post here as Im not sure specifically what it is. Basically this is what happens, Im going to drive the car or driving downtown,highway, anywhere and heres what happens. I accelerate in 1st, no problem, shift at about 3k and the needle drops down to 1.8 or so? as I push the gas pedal I here a squeal/squeek noise for the briefest moment until the needle goes past mabey 2.3/4 k and then its gone. Is this my timing belt or alternator or something or am I just shifting too low and straining something in the motor/drivetrain. Its not a really loud noise or nothing but I notice it, has been happening for a while now, what does it sound like to you guy's? (sorry Im clueless on this one and dont want to just start replacing things that don't need to be)

Old 05-11-2009, 05:24 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You may have a loose or cracked exhaust heat shield.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:03 PM
HCF Member

Ron is this the shield by the manifold? or under the car somewhere? I am thinking it could be my timing belt as well as its probally do for a change. How hard exactly is it to change a timing belt on a 94 civic with no options? Im want to sell the car but Ive got to fix the issue first I would think ;S

Old 05-11-2009, 08:08 PM

Sounds like a bearing in an accessory's pulley, one of the drive belts slipping, or the bearing in the idler pulley.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by megafandrew
Ron is this the shield by the manifold? or under the car somewhere? I am thinking it could be my timing belt as well as its probally do for a change. How hard exactly is it to change a timing belt on a 94 civic with no options? Im want to sell the car but Ive got to fix the issue first I would think ;S
Aluminum heat shields are located from exhaust pipe A to past the cat.

What makes you believe the noise is coming from the timing belt area?

Old 05-12-2009, 02:01 PM
HCF Member

Im not sure someone mentioned to me that it could be the timing belt about to break loose or its slipping?. I suppose I may have to take it in somewhere and let a technician check it out just so I dont spend a bunch on parts I dont need although I hate getting other people to fix/work on my car

Old 05-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by megafandrew
Im not sure someone mentioned to me that it could be the timing belt about to break loose or its slipping?. I suppose I may have to take it in somewhere and let a technician check it out just so I dont spend a bunch on parts I dont need although I hate getting other people to fix/work on my car
If you can reproduce the noise by revving the engine in neutral, try to pinpoint the source of the sound.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:14 PM

The timing belt wouldn't make a squeak/squeal noise.

Another possibility is the water pump or the timing belt tensioner.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:05 PM
HCF Member

thanks for the suggestions trust, now is it possible for me to check these for the issue myself?

Old 05-12-2009, 08:11 PM

Yea, but it's better to check the accessories first.

Remove the power steering drive belt (if you have it). Start engine. Check for noise. If the noise is gone, it's your power steering pump bearing or the belt is slipping.

If the noise doesn't go away, remove the A/C belt (if you have one). Start the engine. Check for noise. If the noise is gone, it's either a slipping A/C belt, the compressor, or more likely the idler pulley bearing.

If the noise still doesn't go away, remove the alternator belt. Start the engine, check for noise. If the noise is gone, it's the alternator bearing or the belt is slipping.

If the noise is still there after removing all of those belts, then you have just ruled out all the accessories.