Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

SRS light

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 02:28 PM
HCF Member
Default SRS light

Last night I was driving and noticed that my SRS light had turned on. When I put my seats back in when I was doing something I didn't plug the seatbelt detector plug back in under the drivers seat (99 civic). So I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it but the thing is, I put the seats in a few days ago but the light didn't come on until last night. I have unplugged anything with the SRS system lately so I don't know what it could be. Any ideas?

Old 12-28-2007, 02:31 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: SRS light

Ummm - did you plug the seat belt detector back in after you remembered that you didn't? Or is it still unplugged? (hint)

Once you're sure everything's plugged back in, get the code for your radio (if equipped), and pull your battery for about 10 minutes. It'll reset the ECU (which has nothing to do with the SRS) but it'll also discharge the SRS system, hopefully 'resetting' it at the same time. If the light comes back on, either keep trying to figure out what you missed, or take it to the stealership to figure out.

Or pull the SRS bulb and be done with it.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:39 PM
HCF Member

No I never bothered to plug it back in. I actually just had my battery unplugged for like 10 minutes cause I was replacing the terminals. I'll have to plug it back in though. I didn't think it had anything to do with the SRS system since it usually just gives you a light when your seatbelt is unplugged.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:48 PM
HCF Member

Safety Restraint System (SRS). That would include 'seat belts.'

Good luck.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:42 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Type RB
Mental note: Do not by car from Type RB.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:10 PM
HCF Member

The plug under the seat don't have do anything with the SRS light. I had it disconnected on my Si for over 2 yrs. It seems you are having some kind of problem with your Air Bags.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:12 PM
HCF Member

Good luck.
Sorry Bro you are wrong SRS= Air bags

Old 12-29-2007, 08:59 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ugh3012

Mental note: Do not by car from Type RB.
LOL - I was being sarcastic, and Firefox won't let me post smilies for some reason.

Sorry, but the guy unplugged something, noticed the light came on, and is now asking how to fix it. Not a lot of gray-area there, IMHO. (Plug it back in and see if the light goes back off- hello...)

BUT - I'm about to pull the SRS light bulb in my car because I yanked the stock steering wheel in favor of a Mugen with removeable hub. Since I followed the directions on how to safely remove and store the airbag system (successfully, I might add), I will return it to stock conditions if I do sell the car in the future. Which is not very likely, considering it's getting the best mileage out of all in my fleet, and gas ain't gettin' any cheaper - if ya know what I mean.

Original: Civic Si 00
Sorry Bro you are wrong SRS= Air bags
Not this time...

[hr]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbag

How airbags work

The goal of an air bag is to slow the passengers' forward motion. It will usually activate when it hits a collision force of a brick wall at 10-15 mph approximately.
To start off with, the occupant sensing devices lets the airbag know whether an person is occupying the driving seat. If someone is, the device informs the airbag of the persons weight and estimated age, as to judge how fast the air bag should be deployed. This determines whether to be deployed at a high-force level for adults, or at a low-force level for children. It may not even be deployed at all, depending on the severity of the crash.
The air bag works when it hits a collision force of fair severity. A mechanical switch is flicked, and the mass shift closes the electrical contact. This information is received to the airbag via the accelerometer. The airbag then activates. The inflation system reacts NaN3 (solid propellant) with KNO3, to produce Nitrogen gas (N2). The hot Nitrogen air then inflates the airbag, to reduce the impact to the driver. This usually occurs in 0.17-0.185 seconds, otherwise the airbag would be deemed useless, because the driver's cranium would have already been smashed on the steering wheel. blah-blah-blah...

[hr]

So yeah... that would most likely include whatever it was (seat belt sensor) that he unplugged. The term 'Safety Restraint System', to me, eludes to ALL components of the 'airbag' system - not just the 'airbags' themselves.

Just some Sudafed-induced thinkinghere... not trying to start a pissin' match either.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:17 PM
HCF Member

Good luck.
It's not Safety Restraint System, I believe it is Suplemental Restraint System.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:15 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ltkenbo

Good luck.
It's not Safety Restraint System, I believe it is Suplemental Restraint System.
Well, so it is - as pointed out in the first sentence of the Wikipedia link I posted (except there are actually 2 'p's in the real spelling of the first word, not to carry on with the nit-picking). And what does 'supplemental' mean again, boys and girls? "In Addition To..." i.e., supplemental to seat belts, etc., etc., etc. (Hint: read the first sentence of the 'Benefits' section on the same page)

Hey - ya got me on that one.

However, you're the one asking questions about why your SRS light is on after you unplugged a minor component of it... not me.

Have the rest of a great weekend.

Quick Reply: SRS light