Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

SRS problem diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 08:04 AM
Default SRS problem diagnosis

I searched, but didn't show anything pertinent.

I have a '99 Civic EX two-door automatic, bought well-used about two years ago. Car runs great, rides great, but has apparently been wrecked in the past, it has a replaced front clip and has been repainted.

We've put about 17K on it, and about 6 months ago, the SRS light would intermittently come on while driving; about a month ago, it just stays on after the usual startup dash light checks.

I've tried the reset procedure using a jumper in the small yellow connector as described in many youtube videos. The light will not reset, and gives TWO flashes before remaining on.

Another youtube video from vehix411.com shows how to jump the OBDII connector to read the trouble code (I have a reader, but it doesn't read the SRS codes). The video, as well as a sticky on another Civic forum, says to jump #4 and #9, then count the SRS light flashes to get the code. All well and good, but my OBDII port does not have a wire at #9 (supposed to be brown). I only have wires at #2, 3, 4, 5, and 16. Is there any other sequence that can be used to read the code?

Any opinion or suggestion is appreciated. FYI, I'm a good wrench twister and very mechanically inclined, but electrical issues are not my forte. I'm hoping this is a seatbelt issue and not an airbag issue.

Last edited by Burnout; 10-09-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:54 PM
HCF Member

modern airbags potentially last the life of the car unless there faulty like the recent takata scandal. i believe honda america has a lifetime replacement guarantee regarding airbags and seatbelts but considering your car was in a wreck im not sure if it still applies. take it to the dealer maybe they will replace it free of charge ???