Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Suspension Question HELP!!!

Old 04-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Default Suspension Question HELP!!!

Ok so i just bought a 97 Honda Civicthat has a skunk 2 coil over suspension system on it that lowers it so that it almost sits on top of the wheels, it has 18 inch ones on it btw. The problem is that it is tearing the hell out of these $200 tires (there are black streaks along the side of the car from the shredded rubber) and everyone is telling me that it cant be fixed. I dont know anything about lowered cars and im almost to the point of trading someone for a 2001 focus that hasnt been messed with. Id rather keep the car if this problem is correctable though so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Aaron

Old 04-16-2008, 07:24 PM
Default RE: Suspension Question HELP!!!

What size tires do you have?

The first thing is that your rims are enormous.

Where exactly is it rubbing? On the lip of the fenders? If so, look into getting your fenders rolled.

Secondarily, aren't coilovers adjustable? I don't have them or any experience with them, but I have read that they are adjustable (although it might be only certain kinds that are adjustable, idk)

If they're adjustable, you can adjust how much the car is lowered.

And just curious, do you live in titusville, fl? ...I know a girl who recently sold a 6th gen lowered civic with what I believe are 18's. Although, i'm sure there are lots of lowered 6th gen civics on 18's around.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:13 PM

no i live in indiana...and the tires arent actually rubbing the car, unless i hait a big bump. the coilovers are extended all the way. whats happening is that the inside of the tire is wearing away extremely fast from contact with the road. why would that be??

Old 04-16-2008, 08:48 PM

you need an alignment

Old 04-16-2008, 09:18 PM
HCF Member

yeah an alignment will fix that, but you say there is shredded rubber somewhere?

Old 04-17-2008, 10:39 AM

all the body shops are telling me they wont align it...and yeah there is black streaks along the bottom side of the car, its the shredded rubber from the inside tread.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:52 AM

FIRST REPLY IS RIGHT THOSE RIMS ARE WAY TO BIG. SECOND COILOVERS CAN BE ADJUSTED WITH THE COIL OVER TOOL THAT COMES WITH THEM. YOU CAN DO IT WITHOUT THE TOOL SOMETIMES BUT YOU HAVE TO TWIST THE 2 PLATE IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION TO LOOSEN UP THEN MOVETHE BOTTEM WHERE YOU WANT IT AND LOWER THE TOP DOWN AND GET AS TIGHT AGAINST EACHOTHER AS POSSIBLE. THE REASON FOR TWO IS THAT IT WILL LOCK THEM IN PLACE IF YOU ONLY HAD ONE PLATE THEY WILL SLOWLYSHAKE ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE BASE.

WHEN THE COILOVERS ARE ALL THE WAY DOWN THE TOP OF THE TIRE WILL CAMBER (I THINK ITS CALLED NEGITIVE CAMBER)IN CAUSING THE INSIDE OF THE TIRE TO WARE AWAY VERY QUICKLY. IF YOU HAVE THEM EXTEDEND ALL THE WAY UP YOUR CAR IS SITTING HIGHER THAN STOCK CAUSING THE TIRES TO CAMBER (I THINK ITS CALLED POSITIVE CAMBER) OUT AT THE TOP. CAUSING THE OUTSIDE OF THE TIRE TO WARE AWAY QUICKLY. SKUNK2 SELLS CAMBER ADJUSTMENT KITS FAIRLY RESONABLE PRICED, THAT WILL ALLOW YOU TO GET YOUR TIRE CENTERED ON THE TREAD.PERSONALLY I WOULD SELL THE 18'S GET SOME NICE 16'S LOWER THE CAR DOWN ON THOSE IT LOOKS ALOT CLEANER AND THE 16 IN RIMS ON A LOWERED CAR WILL ACTUALLY LOOK ABOUT AS BIG AS 18'S ON STOCK HEIGHT

IF YOUR RUBING DEFINATLY DITCH THE RIMSFOR A SMALLER SET THE COST OF ROLLING THE FENDERS IS NOT WORTH IT

Old 04-17-2008, 11:11 AM

ALSO IF THEY ARE 18'S THEY PROBLY ARE 8IN WIDE. THATS TO BIG FOR YOUR CAR YOU WANT 16X7; 17X7 AT THE ABSOLUTE BIGGEST AND THAT IS HUGE! THE TIRES EITHER ARE TO FAR OUT ON THE SIDE OR TO FAR IN DEPENDING ON THE OFFSET. PROBLY TO FAR IN WHICH WILL CAUSE THE TIRES TO RUB ON YOUR INNER FENDER... CAUSING THE CHUNKS OF TIRES AS WELL AS HOLES IN YOUR INNER FENDER. IF YOU LOOK AT THE BACKSIDE OF THE RIM TO FIND THE SIZE IT WILL BE IMPRINTED SOMEWHERE USUALLY ON THE BACKSIDE OF ONE OF THE SPOKES(I.E. 16X7 OR 17X7 OR IN YOUR CASE MOST LIKLY 18X8).

Old 04-17-2008, 03:42 PM

^^^^Please turn off the caps lock... I feel like i'm being shouted at. lol

Anyway,
I have 17x7's and that's the very biggest I would go if I were you. I regret getting the 17s and I wish I had 16s.

So, the best solution is: Sell your rims, and buy some 16's.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:52 PM
HCF Member

the skunk2 racing suspension will rub regardless due to the fact that it can't be (not supposed to be) raised back to stock height (thus fixing your camber problem). with the correct wheel offset, a 17" or 205/40/17 equivalent will do fine at approximately 2.5" without any major camber issues, but will require a good realignment to save your tires.

and the reason that the inside patch of the tires are running bald is because when you lower the car from stock, everything changes with the ride height, including camber and toe. but the main reason that is chewing up your tires is that with that size drop, you're probably running about 1/2 to 3/4" toe in, thus putting extreme stress on the front end.

and a suggestion, don't buy 200 dollar tires for a civic unless you race with them, or just like spending money. and not a bright idea to run expensive tires without any camber/toe adjustments from stock.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension Question HELP!!!