Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Starter clicks but no-go 94 civic ex

Old 03-27-2008, 03:18 PM
Default Starter clicks but no-go 94 civic ex

So the battery seems strong enough, starter makes a loud enough 'click' when the key is turned. And that's about all folks. What would you do? (automatic)

Old 03-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Starter clicks but no-go 94 civic ex

Try charging the battery and cleaning the battery terminals and connectors. Some of the auto parts chain stores will charge your battery free of charge.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:29 PM

Ok, so your thought is that it doesn't have enough juice? I did notice that the negative terminal on the battery was sitting loosely attached... so maybe it's not fully charged up.

If I charge the battery and the problem persists... does that mean time for a new starter? It clicks, but no go. Does that mean selenoid is doing it's job, or not quite doing it's job?

Old 03-27-2008, 03:41 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: highways

Ok, so your thought is that it doesn't have enough juice? I did notice that the negative terminal on the battery was sitting loosely attached... so maybe it's not fully charged up.

If I charge the battery and the problem persists... does that mean time for a new starter? It clicks, but no go. Does that mean selenoid is doing it's job, or not quite doing it's job?
Yeah, start simple by assuming a battery charge or battery connector issue. If this doesn't lead to a solution, troubleshoot the starter and starter circuit next.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:09 PM
HCF Member

make sure the battery posts are cleaned before you try to reconnect. those battery post cleaners work great, but a wire brush will work too. If it just clicks and doesn't start, check your radio see if all your stations are erased. When the starter tries to engage like that its drawing all the cranking amps the battery has to offer and then there isn't anymore so it usually wipes your radio stations.
Charge the battery, and it still doesn't start beat on the cylinoid of the starter with a rubber mallet, screwdriver or what ever. Sometimes the cylinoid can get stuck.
If you charge the battery and the car starts, and you don't know what drained the battery you can dissconnect the battery while the car is running to test your alternator. If you dissconnect the battery and the car continues to run then the alternator is good, if you dissconnect and it stalls and dies, then your alt is bad.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:35 PM
HCF Member

me thinks that that battery disconnect is not to be done in the modern era

Old 03-27-2008, 08:40 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: fglaustin

me thinks that that battery disconnect is not to be done in the modern era
+1 Disconnecting battery cables on a running engine is to be avoided.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:58 AM

maybe your starter is bad. It sounds to me that the solenoid works though. Just get a starter andyou should be alright

Old 03-28-2008, 05:01 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Measure the voltage at the starter between the big wire and ground while someone turns the key. If it stays near 12 volts yet the starter clicks but doesn't turn, it's a bad starter. There's also the remote chance the engine is seized, you can test that by trying to turn the engine (key off so there's no chance it will start) with a socket wrench on the front bolt.

slowcivic's advice is good right up to the part about disconnecting the battery with the engine running: never, ever do that.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:32 AM
HCF Member

Sorry to disagree with you guys but that is a tried and true way of testing an alternator with out taking it off the car. The alternator supplys the car with the power it needs to run, if you disconnect the power wire from the battery (and make sure you don't touch it to anything!) the car will run. I am not saying disconnect the battery and drive it anywhere, I am just giving him an easy test if he can get the car started. I have done this on every vehicle that has come into the shop, new and old.
If his battery cable was loose as he mentioned then it very well could have not been charged. I only gave him the tip to disconnect the battery if he could get the car started but couldn't find out what drained the battery.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter clicks but no-go 94 civic ex