Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Strange transmission problem

Old 09-26-2015, 09:57 AM
Default Strange transmission problem

Hey all.

I have a 2001 Honda Civic EX and the transmission was rebuilt 3 years ago and has about 30,000 miles on it.
I recently bought an Accord and was going to sell the Civic but when I took a potential buyer for a test drive it went about a mile from home and then wouldn't move. I had it towed home and have been messing with it and it will go about a block around the neighborhood and then it stops moving again and acts like it's in neutral. If I shut the engine off and let it sit a couple of minutes I can start it and it moves again for a block or two and then repeats with it acting like it's in neutral again. My brother is a heavy equipment mechanic and he asked a fellow worker who worked in a transmission shop for 20 years and he said it sounds like an electrical problem. I looked into that but there are no engine lights at all, the transmission is not slipping or making any grinding noises or anything. It seems to have enough fluid as well.
If the transmission went out again I am junking it as it's only worth about $2300 so I am at a loss of what to do. Any mechanics here who have seen this thing before? Could it be the torque converter?

Thanks

Mike

Old 09-28-2015, 04:33 PM

No answers eh?
Guess I'll sell it on Craigslist or something as I am sick of looking at this POS.
Worst car I have ever owned and I am almost 54 years old.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:34 PM
HCF Member

That's weird because on a trip that I took up to Bear Lake. I was going up the Logan Way and I was using first and second gear a lot so I didn't burn up my brakes going down the canyon. Once I got to the bottom I stopped at a gas station real fast to get a drink hey I got back in my car about five minutes later and I'd put it in drive but my car wouldn't move. So I put it in park then back into drive and it still wouldn't move. I shifted through all the gears and it still wouldn't move. My RPM's would go up to about 1500 to 2000 and they would stay right there. But I couldn't get the car to move. So whatever happened to you I think happened to me but mine only did it that one time and has not done it since.