Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

car turns over, but no startup

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Default car turns over, but no startup

so heres the breakdown of my situation
1990 honda hb si (d15 from canada) 150xxxmiles

this morning, driving for about 2 miles,
then out of nowhere the car starts to drop in rpms, but i press harder on the gas pedal, but rpms still drop and then dies.
i try to start it up, it keeps cranking and no luck. so my friend (beggining honda mechanic, 1 month experience) and i look into the problem.
sparks plugs are worn, replace them. we test the spark from the engine by holding the plugs next to the engine and there is only little spark, with the brank new plugs.
we check to see if fuel is entering the engine, all good. air filter is fine.
we take a look at the distrubutor. take the coil to autozone, test it and its fine.
the guy at autozone listened to the problems we explained and said it was probably the module in the ditstributor. i didnt feel comfortable with my friend dealing with that much work so we put the car back together and pushed it near my house.
would you guys agree its the module in the distubutor? im taking it to my mechanic tomorow.
thank you in advance.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:20 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: car turns over, but no startup

If you get sparks at all, it is probably NOT the module. They tend to either work or be stone dead. Take the distributor cap off and test for strong sparks from the coil itself. If you have sparks there but they are weak, change the coil first. If the coil is making good sparks, could be the rotor burnt thru, though the symptoms really suggest a fuel problem.