Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Sudden complete oil loss?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Default Sudden complete oil loss?!?

92 Civic Hatchback, 4spd AT, US (not Calif.), ~100K miles

SUDDEN loss of oil, accompanied by a low, relatively quiet sound that sounds like the ocean surf or a water spray (I could hear it with the windows down driving at ~30 mph). No oil light (which is, I guess, another problem ).

Checked dipstick and it was DRY, except for last 3 mm. Added enough oil to get to upper dipstick mark. Drove ~1 mile, & heard sound whenever foot was on the gas. Stopped, checked oil again---dry again. Repeated above scenario twice for the 2 miles it took to get home. At home, oil now still up on the dipstick (but engine was still making the noise...)

NO blue smoke. NO weirdness in coolant (that I can tell, looking at the overflow container). I DO see unexpected oil stains under the engine, sort of below the oil filter, but much more extensive (I think) than the usual spills from the filter change. Oil pan/drain bolt look fine.

Is there some obvious place (which I don't seem to see) where LOTS of oil can just dump out (e.g., analogous to a blown radiator hose leaking coolant)??

Thanks!

Old 07-03-2012, 05:37 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The oil filter gasket, the oil pressure switch, and the VTEC solenoid (if equipped).

Old 07-03-2012, 08:11 PM

VTEC: not applicable
Filter: seems tight as usual (has never leaked). Doesn't it seem odd for it to blow suddenly?
Switch: didn't think of that; will check it out.

What about where the oil pump hooks to the crankcase, or the pipe/gaskets between pump and oil pan?

Old 07-06-2012, 09:31 AM

Car is in now in the shop. The mechanic believes the exhaust line is blocked (likely the catalytic converter); the hissing noise is the exhaust gases trying desperately to get out! Progressive loss of power is now apparent, and the oil level is now clearly way overfilled.

Does it make sense that high crankcase pressure from a blocked exhaust line would blow the oil into places it normally doesn't go such that the "dry" dipstick readings were (at least temporarily) erroneous?

His plan is to drain the oil, and re-fill it properly. Then drop the exhaust line and see if that clear up the hiss and restores power. This seems to make sense to me, but I'm still scratching my head about the dry dipstick...

Thanks!

Old 07-10-2012, 11:14 AM

Muffler replaced; power restored, oil OK (no leak). I guess more bizarre things have happened, but this one sure confused me!

All's well that ends well!