Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Sunroof intermittently working

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:28 AM
Default Sunroof intermittently working

I have a '98 Civic DX with factory sunroof that is intermittently working, more often not working. I tried searching the forum and could not find a similar problem. When I push the button I can hear the button click but also the motor click. I took the switch off and the contacts are perfectly clean, fuse is ok. I read someone having almost a similar issue and replaced the relays for up and down and it resolved the problem. Anyone else have this experience?

Old 10-16-2007, 10:15 AM
Ben
Default RE: Sunroof intermittently working

The motor may be going out in it?

Old 10-16-2007, 12:46 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Does it always move in one direction, but not always in the other direction, or is it kind of balanced between the two? In the first case it's probably a relay, second case I'd suspect the motor more, but try the relays first because the motor is likely going to be expensive.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:29 AM

When it works, which has only been one time since I acquired the car, the sunroof opened and closed. It was also quite noisy but I suspect dirty tracts. You guys are most likely correct in that it is the motor. I obtained a Honda Manual for it and will research it. I doubt there is any other way of checking the motor other than taking off the ceiling panel, which the cloth needs to be replaced anyhow. I will post my fix but I may as well wait until next year. Thanks for the replys.