Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Surging Idle/No heat

Old 12-21-2004, 09:50 AM
Default Surging Idle/No heat

Hey folks....just registered here, posted in the intro section....now I have a question for y'all honda geniuses: (And I did do a couple searches, but found nothing...)

Got a 94 Civic, VTec motor. I was having some issues with it, i.e. poor fuel mileage, crappy throttle response, poor shifting (auto), the CEL came on, so I pulled the codes, and figgered the problem to be the Oxygen sensor. So, I went out, bought a new one, plugged it in....all seems good, no more codes, better mileage, good throttle response and I was happy.

Prior to replacing the Oxygen Sensor, my dad also said that on cold start up, in the morning, before he goes to work, the car starts right up. About .5 miles into his commute, the heating system blows COLD air only. and will do so untill he gets to work. (only about a mile away) WHen he arrives at the office, puts the car in park, it sugres erratically....from 500 rpm to 2000 and back again, and will do so until it is shut off. if it is shut off for a few minutes, and restarted, it is fine and the heat works well. This only happens on his commute to work, as I drove the car over 500 miles over the weekend, and when I started it cold, and drove, it had no issues at all. It also does not happen daily. I have just within the last 2 months put in new radiator, T-Stat, water pump, and hoses. THe system has been bled of air bubbles, and I am now at a loss for what to look for. My other thoughts have come to a possible malfunctioning EGR valve, but before I go dumping more money into this damn car.....I was hoping for some opinions from people that deal with them on a regular basis.

Thanks in advance for the help, and sorry for the long post.

Old 01-31-2005, 02:18 PM
Default RE: Surging Idle/No heat

I ran into this last night.... Any thoughts?

Old 01-31-2005, 03:16 PM
Default RE: Surging Idle/No heat

As far as the no heat thing just let the car warm up a little. A mile is not much ti warm a car up at all. As far as the idle problem could be your idle air control valve, Just a thought.