Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Suspension upgrade WAY over due...Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 03:14 PM
HCF Member
Default Suspension upgrade WAY over due...Advice?

Hey Civic world!!!
So i have a 97lx with a stock d16y7 5spd. Its sitting on stock struts with some yellow neuspeed lowering springs. Not sure what model or spring rate, but it is low! My wheels seem like they have alot of negative camber, especially in the back. (just have steelies at all four corners) Also my right fron tire and left back tire seem to be wearing on the inside VERY quickly, i got through a set of brand new tires on those 2 tires every 6-8 months. Also i can tell from the little work i have done on the car it is in way need of new bushings.

So my questions....

Does anyone know about the lowering springs i have? (bright yellow neuspeed, sit really low)
As far as upgrades, i plan on doing the bushings but i am undecided on setup to go with, when looking online (ebay...i know i know), in the 600 to 1000$ range there is TONS of different coilover options, as well as a thousand and one different camber kits and controls arms. How do i weed out the crap from the quality products????
So here i am looking at all these different options....then i was looking at an eibach kit that comes with struts, springs, sway bars, bushings, EVERYTHING!!!... but not adjustability.... is a complete kit like this better then piecing a suspension together with different parts and hoping they work together????
Any thoughts or suggestions? Please help!!!
I am not looking at cheap ebay items i see lots of stuff in the low hundres but i figure i will have to get closer to the 1000$ range before i get quality, i am willing to save up if it is worth it.

(different coilovers i am looking at Godspeed Type RS, Megan Racing EZ Coilover, CxRacing, Blox Tuner Series, D2 Racing RS, Function & Form Type 1, Skunk2 Pro Series II, Blackworks SS)

Also any suggestions for a complete bushing upgrade??? OEM, or aftermarket??

Thanks everyone in advance!

Old 12-01-2012, 03:34 PM

My buddy runs a full Skunk2 Pro2 setup and his car handles like its on rails. That's all I can really say from experience.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:55 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by BlvdKnight
My buddy runs a full Skunk2 Pro2 setup and his car handles like its on rails. That's all I can really say from experience.
Just the skunk2 coilovers? or upper control arms and rear camber ect? they have ALOT of suspension parts.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:05 PM
HCF Member

I have the Skunk2 sport shocks and lowering springs...

they looked GREAT when I first installed them and they handle decent, but, the rear sagged already. :/
They're fairly bouncy, too. I would not advise them to anyone. I'll sell the springs and slam the shocks on ebay coilovers (got a pair kicking around lol) for fun when spring comes. :P

The next set of suspension I'm buying is gonna be Progress Coilovers. I've heard great things about them...

My buddy has Function Form Type II coilovers in his EK and they ride amazing. Rather pricey, but absolutely awesome. He has it pretty slammed, too.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:33 AM
HCF Member

Thanks for the responses so far everyone

Im really thinking of the D2 coilovers, they have a seperate rebound and ride height adjustment so even if i slam it i wont lose stroke. But i dont know, i found a set for 800 on ebay and they seem quality, also a set of Function & Form Type 1 right next to them for 700, but with all the "Ballers" spending thousands on a set of coilovers its confusing what to go with.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:00 AM
HCF Member

Honestly check out the Honda tech marketplace for some good deals. The progress system is on there for like 600 bucks. It looks really nice and gets good reviews.

alright so progress has a special where it is $575 shipped in the U.S.
it's a performance orientated coilover with longevity in mind. made for track use. slamming can be done, but cautions are to be had when going more than 3/4 the way down. possible to blow them.

Function Form Type I are around the same price. These ones are for slamming, not for track use... they go really low with comprised ride quality.

that's the general consensus I found on them. i'm gonna be picking from one of those in the spring...

This link was pretty helpful too.

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2967499

Last edited by zerojett; 12-02-2012 at 11:20 AM.