Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Swapping out a D15B2 in an EF hatch. I need to know...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 01:25 PM
Default Swapping out a D15B2 in an EF hatch. I need to know...?

Ok, by 'swap' I mean that I'm pulling my dead D15B2 and replacing it with the one my friend pulled from his CRX. I'm getting a five speed with the deal, which is cool because that was my one big complaint with the car - Civics aren't known for torque (except in comparison to...I don't know? 2 stroke dirt bike engines?) and the wider gear spread definately took some fun out of the car. But I digress...

My friend is doing a compression check and everything for me, even though the motor ran fine when he swapped it out for a D16. Considering that it's the same generation and engine code, I'm not expecting too many surprises...but that's usually when something pops up and goes "Surprise! [SMACK!!!]", so...

I'm already planning on the following:

water pump
timing belt
Energy Suspension motor mount inserts (if my mounts weren't shot before I was running the car around on three cylinders, they sure as hell are now)
driver's side axle (just replaced the passenger side: don't absolutely need it for the swap, but I do if I want to put on my Integra brakes. And I do.)
I might do the clutch. I'm only really asking that this motor get me through the winter, and hopefully come springtime it'll be ZC swap time. The clutch in my car now never gave me any problems, I'll ask my friend how his felt - I figure between the two...however, I'll definately do it if someone can answer me this: are the clutches the same (or at least interchangable) on the D15 and the ZC? I would imagine so, but I've imagined wrong before. (SMACK!!! - it happens!). I'll probably get a new clutch anyway, but still...

Anything I'm missing here? How often do water pumps go in these motors (average life expectancy, in other words)? I'm trying to save money to get into a new place right now too, so any place I can save a little would be appreciated (I know it doesn't tend to be worth it in the long run...but I don't plan on having the motor forever, and I still need an upper control arm and inner tie rod end after I'm running...not to mention a heater motor! Dammit...).

All help will be appreciated.

Thanks
DJ

Old 10-24-2005, 01:28 PM
Default RE: Swapping out a D15B2 in an EF hatch. I need to know...?

Oh. In reference to the five speed above, I have a four-speed manual in the car now. Not an auto...just in case there was any confusion.