Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

symptoms of a bad computer???

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Default symptoms of a bad computer???

I have a 2002 civic ex that i was told that the computer most likely needs to be replaced, so i was just making sure since itll be almost $1000 to replace it. the mechanic said that the computer stops communicating, causing the signals to drop out (my car goes into limp mode), but once the car is restarted, it works fine. i do believe the computer is faulty, but the thing is, it only happens in hot weather. is it likely that the computer needs to be replaced altogether or could it be a connection or something??

Old 05-15-2009, 11:58 AM
HCF Member

First, is it throwing any CEL's? And secondly, you don't have to purchase another ecu for 1000, it will cost you a fraction if you buy a used one online of the same model or junkyard.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:07 PM

No, there are no codes at all. it happens intermittently and there are no codes stored. i also had it checked with the check engine light on, still no codes. the mechanic also said that i cant get a used one because of my immobilization, and that i have to buy the software to program the new computer?? i only have the factory disabler, no alarm system.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:35 PM
HCF Member

Can you, or do you know someone that can test the inputs coming into the computer? It's not a fun process. You would need a volt meter and a pin diagram for your computer. You also need a manual for your car to see the specifications for voltages coming into the car. It's odd that your computer is going into limp mode, and not throwing an error code. I'd be more inclined to say that either a connection is bad or one of your sensors is bad.

I'm not sure how the immobilizer works, but if they have to flash the software to make it work for your car that will cost $$$, even though its very easy for them to do. A new computer should cost $100 - 200 used.

In general the mean time to failure for most electrical components is 5 years, but for cars I don't know what the standard is for the components they use, so in short it could be the computer.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:16 PM
HCF Member

This might be a dumb question but would a used computer from the same car be programmed already?