Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

taillight not aligned to the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:44 AM
Default taillight not aligned to the trunk

Hello, I got a 2002 civic LX and found that my tailights are not align with the lights onmy trunk door (higher)and there's a big gap between the outer taillight and the bumper. (this happen after bumper was replaced after a hit).

So any suggestion onwhat I can do to fix this problem?Could this be done by a regular personor should I bring it in to the body shop.

Try adjusting the trunkfrom the trunk arm (if thats the right name for it) by adjusting the position. No change....

The problem is similar to the one seen in the image, plus a gap between the outer tail light and bumper as mentioned earlier in the post.

Any help will be good. Thanks in advance.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29791/6881B2DC21A446E080C6E3C6600773E8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: taillight not aligned to the trunk

Something besides the bumper got bent in the hit. If insurance (especially the other guy's insurance) paid for the repair, you need to go back to them and demand further repairs.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:00 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: magnodrome

Hello, I got a 2002 civic LX and found that my tailights are not align with the lights onmy trunk door (higher)and there's a big gap between the outer taillight and the bumper. (this happen after bumper was replaced after a hit).

So any suggestion onwhat I can do to fix this problem?Could this be done by a regular personor should I bring it in to the body shop.

Try adjusting the trunkfrom the trunk arm (if thats the right name for it) by adjusting the position. No change....

The problem is similar to the one seen in the image, plus a gap between the outer tail light and bumper as mentioned earlier in the post.

Any help will be good. Thanks in advance.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29791/6881B2DC21A446E080C6E3C6600773E8.jpg[/IMG]
Drive around when there's sleet/rain/hail in the weather, you'll be bound to get in a fender bender. Then, let the next body shop fix it.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:05 PM

some creative answers.... does anyone have similar type of problem that they are facing.

mk378 - accessed to insurance is not possible. Thehit incurred when my aunt had the car a year or 2 yearsago. So any fixing with be out of my own pocket.

If I was to leave it as is, will it lead to water leaking to areas of the car that shouldnt be.

Thanks again

Old 03-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well first thing i would try is loosening the taillights mounting bolts and see if you can move the tailights around any... if you could move one tailight UP and the other DOWN or vis versa you could posibly line them up ok.

look at 2 things, one the trunk lid around the top corners... if its level with the side quarters then id say its the taillights just being aftermarket, typical fitment issues....
then i think your only choise if ya want them lined up is taking out the taillights and using a small dremel to grind the holes alittle larger in the way you want the taillights to move., might just have to put alittle silicone around the holes before reinstaling the taillights just to prevent any leaking from the larger holes.

but if the trunk lid and side quarters dont line up then you should adjust the latch or catch rod on the trunk lid to make them line up properly.

you should be able to do it yourself.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:36 PM
HCF Member

i have an o3 and i have problems with the lights not fitting right but its the aftermarket lights not the trunk or nething if you want i have oem(stock) taillights if your interested check my thread.