Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

TDC/Cam Sensor installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 07:13 AM
Default TDC/Cam Sensor installation

Hello all,
I would like some help on my TDC/Cam sensor installation on my 2002 Civic EX. I looked at the DIY posted at (DIY TDC Sensor (CMP Sensor) Replacement w/Pics! - Honda Civic Forum) as I need to change my TDC sensor (diagnosed by mechanic but I would like to do it myself). I have a couple questions:

1) The pictures used in the DIY are little different from my car. I have a part (shown as Part X in pic1.jpg) that is in my way on the right side. I dont see that part on the DIY. Can someone please tell me what that part is and how can I remove it to give me access to the timing cover?
2) The two long hoses are in the way too. Can someone tell me how to remove those. They look very rigid by I will need a way to maneuver in the area so I can get my socket and wrench in place for 3 bolts on the timing cover
3) Do I really need to remove the valve cover. There must be a reason for it as he did in the DIY. But timing belt cover is on the driver side of the engine block and is made out of plastic (should be flexible). Can I not touch the valve cover. I dont want to mess it up.
4) If I have to remove the valve cover, is there a best practice to do it? I have the tools and all, but I am afraid of the warping people talk about.

Can you please provide input/thoughts to this. Mechanic asked for $300 labor and I like working on my car. I bought the sensor and would like to do it myself. Your help would go a long way.

Regards

Attached Thumbnails TDC/Cam Sensor installation-pic1.jpg   TDC/Cam Sensor installation-pic2.jpg  
Old 08-21-2013, 04:12 PM
Recognized HCF Member

1. Part X is the ABS module. You really want to work around that because if you disconnect the lines you will need to go through a lengthy procedure to bleed the brakes again.

2. I think you can go underneath those hoses. The one to the power steering pump could be disconnected temporarily. Do not disconnect the one that goes to the A/C compressor.

3. The valve cover needs to be lifted up because it hooks over top of the timing cover. This involves removing the 4 coils for the spark plugs first. The gasket can almost always be reused, lift it up and set it back down. Be careful not to overtighten the cover bolts, they break easily.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Is there a torque rating for the bolts on the valve cover? I can use a torque wrench. If I dont tighten, it might leak???

Old 08-22-2013, 04:54 PM

Ok, so I took a picture of the area Im working on (pic3.jpg). There are 3 hoses. I think Hose 'C' is the power steering hose that you are asking to disconnect.
Hose A looks like is the ac hose that you are asking me not to disconnect.

1. What is hose 'B' and can I (and how) take it out of the way?
2. Which hoses can I bend to move out. Hose A looks pretty rigid. I am afraid applying any force on it.
3. Hose B is also very rigid. If I cant take it out, then can I bend it?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails TDC/Cam Sensor installation-pic-3.jpg  
Old 08-22-2013, 05:53 PM
Recognized HCF Member

B is the power steering pressure hose. It moves fluid from the pump on the front of the engine to the steering rack. The fluid returns to the reservoir through hose C.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:02 PM
HCF Member

I replaced my TDC/Cam Position sensor not too long ago. I ended up removing the valve cover and upper belt cover, as has been suggested above. Both covers require a considerable amount of wiggling to remove. Then I used my hand to feel for the sensor, pulled the plug by finding the flat part and depressing it with my thumb and wiggling it loose, then using a 1/4" drive ratchet with a long 10 mm socket (or an extension and a normal socket) to remove the bolt that holds the sensor in place. and pop the new one in. You can do all this without moving the power steering pump and just pushing a little on the rubber portions of the hoses (they are more flexible than you think.) The 1/4" drive ratchet and socket will prove handy in removing the timing belt cover bolts as well. Since it is 1/4" I bought a cheap set with ratchet at Autozone for $10.00 I am learning that a lot of auto repair is about ergonomics, but sometimes even when you hold your tongue just right, you will struggle unless you have the right tools. I have found that a $15 LED headlamp is also worth its weight in gold.