We're adding and testing new features:  Create your Garage, used it? Give us some feedback here.
Honda Civic Forum Home - Honda Civic Classifieds - Civic Photo Galleries - Create an Account

Go Back   HondaCivicForum.com > General Automotive > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the HondaCivicForum.com.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Temp. gauge going up and down

I have a 95 civic DX and the temperature gauge on the interior gauge cluster keeps on going up and down at a rapid pace. I know that the temperature of a car probably could not flucuate that quickly, so I'm wondering what it could be? The car only has 75k on it.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:21 PM

Default RE: Temp. gauge going up and down

Uh oh! That usually means you have a head gasket leak or a cracked block. Check your oil and see if the color looks normal, or if it's kinda like hot chocolate.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:25 PM
HCF Member

Sounds like my car! I have a '95 DX as well, and the head gasket started going last September, but I didn't do anything about it until May of this year (don't be stupid like me!). Get yourself into a reuputable shop and get a pressure test.

Total repair was about $625. A big chunk out of my wallet, but it's cheaper than a new engine down the line!

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Mossy

thats right, shelle keeps it real...
Old 08-29-2005, 06:41 PM
HCF Member

what do you mean by up and down at a rapid pace? If the needle is jumping around randomly it could be as simple as a grounding issue on the guage. If the needle is moving up and down in a smooth movement then yes it could be a head gasket, warped head or cracked head. get it checked out soon.

Black 4 door, WingsWest Racing Series Ground effects, DC 4-1 Headers, AEM CAI,

Edelbrock Performer X Turbo soon to come!
Old 08-29-2005, 07:31 PM
HCF Member

Send a message via AIM to sacicons

or a thermostat thats stuck open.

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Forty04

I choose the rear ending
Old 09-02-2005, 09:50 PM

Mine was doing that about a month ago. These guys are great. Told me it was the head gasket and it was, my head was also warped .01". Get it machined, put a new head gasket on it, and your all fixed. Be sure to get it pressure checked also.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:19 AM

So let us know what the problem actually is so that future HCFers know.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:03 AM

I have recently seen the same problem. The gauge goes up and then back down slowly, but never gets real hot. I also noticed a loss of power when this happens. There's no smoke, and the engine runs great for about 30 minutes,no sputter, no misses and great acceleration..then seems to get sluggish. I relaced a stuck thermostat about 2 weeks ago, and there wasn't any problems til just a few days ago. Someone told me that I need to bleed the cooling system that I have air in it,..and there's a bleed port next to the thermostat,..? The oil looks ok,..no smoke, and no leaks,..is this a possible fix....jim
Old 07-27-2006, 03:16 PM
HCF Member

i would think that it is the wiring (especially important to check it right there where it goes into the coolant temp sensor, or the sensor itself).
Old 08-04-2006, 04:02 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to motoboy17us2007

Honda's have really small ports in the radiator too.... look for a green "fungus" on the top of it, if it's there change it!
Old 08-04-2006, 04:02 AM

Tags
2000, 95, cars, civic, engine, gauge, guage, honda, jumping, problem, sensor, sputtering, temp, temperature, thermostat