Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Temp gauge moving up after timing belt/coolant change

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:42 AM
HCF Member
Default Temp gauge moving up after timing belt/coolant change

97 Civic HX with 256K

I just had the timing belt/acc belt/water pump/coolant change service done on my car.

Before the temp gauge would never move, it would stay in the middle.

Now it will randomly climb upwards to about 2/3rds and then come back down after several minutes to the middle.

Is there air in the radiator/cooling system? I don't think it would be a head gasket leak (I sure hope not) b/c 1) it started after the service above and 2) it never climbs all the way up and always returns back down to normal.

What gives - any ideas - it still makes me nervous with all that mileage on my car...thanks

Old 03-01-2011, 09:01 AM

You want to check and see if the system was bled properly and if the radiator fan kicks on.

Pop the hood, start the car, let it run. The fan should kick on after a few minutes.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:30 AM
HCF Member

Hmmm I ran the engine for 15 minutes at idle, the fan did not kick on but the temp gauge did not go over the 1/2 way point either....

Old 03-02-2011, 12:40 PM

i had similar problem on my 91 lx. turned out to be the thermostat. was also told the coolant temp. sensor could also be problem. both are not expensive to replace

Old 03-03-2011, 03:57 AM
Recognized HCF Member

With the engine COLD, take off the radiator cap and make sure the radiator is full to the top. Don't just check the level in the white plastic tank.

Assuming the coolant is full, if the overheating had been occurring only when sitting still, and going back down when you get up to 30 mph or so, it's probably the fan not starting when it should. If it happens at more random situations it's probably the thermostat getting stuck.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:29 PM
HCF Member

Thanks for the replies so far. It is very random so I am thinking also it may be the thermostat.

I take it back to the shop on Monday - if it happens to be a sticking thermostat is this coincidence or could it have been caused by the timing belt/acc belt/water pump/coolant flush service?

I also read if the timing was set incorrectly this could cause overheating though I'm not quite sure how this would present - random or only at certain times?

thanks

Old 03-07-2011, 05:56 PM
HCF Member

Well, I took it back to the shop today. I talked with the head mechanic at the honda dealer who looked over everything. No air in the system, fans turn on, t-stat seems to be working. He thinks there is a blockage somewhere in the radiator based on when I crank my heat the temp stays steady at baseline but when I don't have the heat on it overheats - my best guess is that whatever new coolant they mixed with my old coolant might have stirred up some sediment - but I can't prove that. Geez, further proof if you want to do something right do it yourself. I just hate doing the timing belt especially this winter in the cold and snow and wet with no garage on dirt. Oh well off to NAPA for a new radiator and t-stat and we'll see what happens...thanks