Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Testing wiring, between wiper motor/switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 12:40 PM
HCF Member
Question Testing wiring, between wiper motor/switch

I have all the trouble shooting pages for the wiper switch (tested good as of a couple of weeks ago), and the wiper motor. The Haynes manual refers to testing the continuity of the wiring between the motor, and the switch.

Anyone know which wires should have continuity, and which shouldn't? The answer is probably staring me straight in the face on the schematic, but I'd like to rule that out before I install a new wiper motor (having the infamous wiper parking issue right now)

Old 03-01-2009, 01:04 PM
HCF Member
Default I'm a tool

That's what colour coding is for... Got sidetracked by the fact that the ICU controls the intermittent side of things. Good thing I'm not colour blind.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member

To obtain relevant and correct answers to questions, you should consider placing the year and model of your Civic in your signature. Is it a 98 Civic? If so,:

Based on the circuit diagram, the Blu and Blu/Yel wire should have continuity when tested from the switch end to the motor end.

The Blk wire at the switch should also have continuity to body ground, and the Grn/Blk wire at the motor should have 12V with the ignition key turned to ON(II).

Name:  picture_2061.jpg
Views: 18335
Size:  57.0 KB

Last edited by RonJ; 03-01-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:13 PM
HCF Member

Thanks Ron, it is indeed a 1998.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

By the way, the Blu/Wht wire running between the integrated control unit and wiper motor controls the wiper park mechanism. Of course, this wire too should have continuity when measured from each end.

Name:  picture_2063.jpg
Views: 4847
Size:  109.3 KB

Last edited by RonJ; 03-01-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:31 PM
HCF Member

Thanks, it looks like if wiring was an issue that would be the one. It does park, just 6" up from where it should, which leads me to believe it's the switch in the motor. Regardless I'll have a motor on hand when I test so I can get it all done at once.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Have your previous electrical tests ruled out the possibility that the integrated control unit or a bad Blu/Wht wire terminal might be causing the wiper park problem?

Old 03-01-2009, 06:09 PM
HCF Member

Everything was good, the ICU and related wiring were all good.

I was driving home after getting a carwash and the wipers would turn on by themselves over bumps, or a sharp corner. They've since stopped doing that, but now don't park correctly.

They'll go down to the bottom of their sweep, then come back up six inches or so before parking.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Recognized HCF Member

That almost has to be the motor. The switch opens, but at the wrong place. Also having the wipers come on on bumps could be the switch closing when it's not supposed to, or something flakey in the ICU. I'd pull the ICU, crack it open, and resolder all the connections like doing a main relay.

It may be that the crank arm has slipped position on the motor shaft. So the motor stops at "zero" like it's supposed to, but the linkage is in the wrong position. I don't know how it's built to tell you if that's possible or not.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:56 AM
HCF Member

The ICU is a new unit, I had replaced it when my intermittents weren't working properly (ended up being the ignition key switch, a stupid switch which tells the ICU there's a key in the ignition ).

I still have the old ICU which works fine as it turns out, so I can test that side of things if necessary.

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Testing wiring, between wiper motor/switch