Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Thin white smoke coming from hood of car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 07:47 PM
Default Thin white smoke coming from hood of car?

Ok, so I've been having a few problems with my Civic lately. A few weeks ago, I wouldn't start right away (after driving about 30 minutes to the mall), then eventually started, but sounded like crap. I'm able to drive a week or so, then it happens again. But just like before, I eventually got it to start again.

Then, on the way back from picking my brother up (about a 30 minute drive), the check engine light comes on. As I leave the freeway and hit a stop light, my engine just shuts off and I can't get it to start again. I assume if I waited a bit longer I could have started it again, but obviously I can't impede traffic by staying in the middle of the road, so I got it towed. The next day, I try starting my car just for ****s, and whattya know, it starts again.

I take it to autozone for a code read, and on the way there, my check engine light disappears. The guy told me it's something with my ECT sensor, and described the symptoms as being pretty much exactly what I've been experiencing. I got a new one and switched it out, and all seems to be well so far, but it's too early to tell I think.

I drove the car around again yesterday, and again, everything seemed fine. Although when I pulled into my driveway, I noticed a very faint, thin white smoke coming from the right side of my hood. I opened it up but it was pretty much gone by the time I got out, so I couldn't tell where it was coming from. Also, the check engine light came back last night.

What are the possible causes of this?

Old 03-23-2014, 04:58 AM

You need to find out what that CEL is on for.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:02 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Before you drive again, with the engine off and cold, make sure the cooling system is full. Check both in the radiator (should be full to the top) and in the plastic tank (which should be about 1/4 full with the engine cold).

Also you should post the model year of your car.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:38 AM

It's a 2002 honda civic lx.

And I'll probably get the check engine line checked again tomorrow. I'm just worried it'll stall on the way there. I'll report back after I've done so, and checked the cooling system and such.

Ok, so I checked the radiator, and noticed two things. One, I didn't see any coolant. And two, I think part of the radiator cap broke off. I'll attach pictures.

Attached Thumbnails Thin white smoke coming from hood of car?-photo-1.jpg   Thin white smoke coming from hood of car?-photo-2.jpg  

Last edited by bojadada; 03-23-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:13 AM
HCF Member

yes thats broken the radiator cap serves three major functions of your cooling system. it allows coolant to drain into the overflow tank when hot and then allows coolant to be sucked back into the radiator when cold. it also holds atmospheric pressure. so i would replace the radiator cap with a quality oem unit then i personally would flush the radiator and refill with only honda fluid thats very important. don't forgot to bleed the system.

from the looks of it it doesn't look like you take proper care of your cars maintenance if i was you i would start now because your definitely on the path to worse problems like a blown head gaskit.

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 03-25-2014 at 03:26 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:31 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes there are some serious problems there. That looks like oil contamination from the engine. Try flushing the radiator, heater core, and engine with plain water then refill with fresh coolant. Try to find and remove the parts of the cap that broke off.

It is OK to use generic green antifreeze in a Civic. The only fluids that really need to be genuine Honda are the automatic transmission and the power steering.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:17 PM
HCF Member

its ok to use off the shelf coolant on older pre 2001 hondas but the later models need a non silicate non phosphate formula to stay corrosion free but in that car anything would be better. you should also only use distilled water to flush it.
DIY: Engine Coolant Flush - 7th Gen Honda Forum - The #1 Community for 2001-2005 Honda Civic Enthusiasts

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 03-25-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:44 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Thanks, I did not know that.

Though the OP's car may have reached the point where it doesn't matter much because the engine is already toast.

Last edited by mk378; 03-28-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:53 AM

I took it to the shop and it's getting repaired currently. The radiator was ****ed, and something was up with the thermostat. Thanks for the help though everyone!