Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

THings to check when your motor swap wont start...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Default THings to check when your motor swap wont start...

OK, i am having some serious issues getting my new motor to start. 99 b16b in a 98 civic cx. its got spark, its got fuel (although im not sure if the injectors are opening at the right time, but they will shoot fuel into the cylinder if hot wired), and its got air. but the stupid thing wont start. Heres the specs...

99 b16b motor and computer (although kinda confused because the engine is supposed to be a 99 which should be obd2b right?? but the computer is obd2a, and the wiring harness off the stock engine only had 2 plugs, not three to plug into the ecu, and only one actually fit)
98 d16y7 harness
stock ctr cams
Skunk2 valves, springs, retainers, intake manifold, throttle body, cam gears (set to 0 degrees)
Msd billet distributer, blastercoil and ignition control.
aem fuel rail and fuel pressure regulator ( set to 42 psi per my autometer fuel pressure guage)
toda head gasket, stinger alternator, blockguard, dc sport headers, i think thats about it.

ok, so i want any ideas on what i need to check and do to get this thing working. ive done the wiring to the best of my knowledge (wired in the knock sensor and vtec, switched the plugs on the iacv and iat sensors)
no ckf sensor so i didnt have to worry about that cuze the computer dosnt support one anyways. so i just left that plug unplugged.

where do i need to hook up the line for the evap canister since the new engine dosnt have the solonoid that it use to hook up to on the old engine. i jsut ran it to the intake for now i guess.

Would having a sensor hooked up incorectly make it just not start period or just run really bad. the motor acts like it wants to turn over real bad, but it just wont. every now and then one cylinder will combust but thats it and its rare. please help guys. any tips and trick. anything you can think of that i need to check. oh, and if anyone has a drivers side axle for sale that would work for this swap let me know.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:40 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: THings to check when your motor swap wont start...

does it crank?

Old 09-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Recognized HCF Member

have you checked to see if it has compression? check your timing as well

Old 09-28-2007, 08:40 AM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: skibum853

99 b16b motor and computer (although kinda confused because the engine is supposed to be a 99 which should be obd2b right?? but the computer is obd2a, and the wiring harness off the stock engine only had 2 plugs, not three to plug into the ecu, and only one actually fit)

So what is plugged in now?? What is the ECU code?

Get rid of the MSD ignition. It's not helping you

Old 09-28-2007, 04:36 PM

yes it cranks, and right now i just have the stock distributor on and yes all cylinders have compression. an my timing is great from what i can tell. everything lines up just fine. do i have to switch any wires on the distrubutor to make it work? i heard something about that once. im just lost