Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Throttle Position sensor Location ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 03:40 PM
Default Throttle Position sensor Location ??

Does anyone kno where the TPS (Throttle Position sensor) is located on a B16? cuz my car starts to Bogg when i push the gass all the way down, it wont let me go past 40mph, is it the TPS?

Old 09-28-2006, 04:23 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Throttle Position sensor Location ??

What year is the car and engine? If they are OBD II, it is pretty easy to check if the TPS is working. The TPS is located on the throttle body. If you get me some details on the year, make, model, etc of the car that the original engine came out of i can get you a pic maybe.

Old 09-28-2006, 04:32 PM

I have a 97 dx with a B16a2 JDM OBD1 (from a 92-95 DOHC delsol). Is the TPS the same as the MAP sensor?

Old 09-28-2006, 04:37 PM
HCF Member

No, the TPS tells the PCM how far the throttle is open and the MAP tells the PCM the pressure of the intake manifold (to calculate the amount of air entering the engine).

Old 09-28-2006, 04:42 PM

so wut do u think is the problem with my car, and where can i locate the TPS, i dont think the problem is the Map sensor then.

Old 09-28-2006, 04:49 PM
HCF Member

Part of what TPS sensor data is used for is timing advance. WHen the PCM sees that you put your foot down, it advances the timing, increases injector pulse width, etc. Now if your TPS sensor is not working properly then when you put ur foot down, the PCM won't know to do the stuff its suppose to. SInce you have opened the throttle plate, the MAP sensor is going to show that your at WOT. THe PCM is gonna look at the TPS and the MAP and say that this can't be right. THe throttle cant be closed and the manifold vacuum be low at the same time. So it goes into fail safe mode. Which might be why you can't go over 40mph. The best way to diagnose this is to check the voltage at the TPS . When you move the throttle the voltage should change. If the voltage doesn't change then you know the TPS isn't functioning properly. Put the key in the on position (no need to start the engine). Put the meter on the connector for the TPS (behind the connector where there are the little metal things). The voltage at the TPS sensor should be .5v at idle, 2.5v at 1/2 open, and 4.5v at full throttle. You are going to want to put the leads on wire # 1 and 2 for the reading this is the one that should be changing. Wires # 3 and 1 should be 5v all the time. You have JDM engien and i am looking at the wiring diagram for a USDM engine so the wires might be diff. Jus remember that there is a power wire, a signal wire, and a ground wire. You want to check the voltage across the signal wire and the ground wire.

Old 09-28-2006, 04:55 PM

so if it's the TPS how much is it to replace it and wut other engines would be compatiable with the same connection

Old 09-28-2006, 05:44 PM
HCF Member

When i looked up the TPS, it said that you have to change the throttle body. As far as which engine you can pull the TPS off, i dunno. However, i believe that it is possible that a faulty MAP sensor could also be the problem but i would check the TPS first.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:28 PM

thanks for the info i'll check it out this weekend

Old 09-28-2006, 10:39 PM
HCF Member

cant find this to be right.
isn't that engine considered US domestic market.
this is what i find in https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_131941/tm.htm

copy:
B16A 1.6L JDM DOHC VTEC 89-91 Civic Si-R I/CRX Si-R, Integra RSi/XSi 160ps
B16A2/3 1.6L USDM DOHC VTEC 93-97 DelSol VTEC/99-00 Civic Si 160hp
B16A 1.6L JDM DOHC VTEC 92-95 Civic Si-R II/ 92-97 CRX DelSol SiR 170ps
B16B 1.6L JDM DOHC VTEC 98+ Civic Type R 185ps

there is a section above on the crx and delsol.

and what fuel delivery system do you have.
you originally had mpfi, and with the swap, now you also have multi-port fuel injection. ???

there is no throttle position sensor for mpfi.

Quick Reply: Throttle Position sensor Location ??