Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Throttle Too Stiff -- '99 Civic EX

Old 11-06-2012, 09:00 AM
Default Throttle Too Stiff -- '99 Civic EX

Hi,
I posted many months ago on this site, then went overseas, but now I am back and still don't have any resolution to my car problem.

I own a '99 Civic 2-door EX Coupe. I bought it at 127K, it now has 202K miles. About a year and a half ago, I noticed the throttle getting more and more stiff and harder for me to press. Eventually, the stiff throttle caused chronic pain on the side of my right foot.

I have taken my car to several mechanics, but no one has been able to make my car throttle less stiff (easier for me to press). One mechanic loosened the cable that attaches to the throttle, which made it easier to depress at the beginning, but then harder to depress as my foot went towards the floor, so I asked him to reverse the changes he made.

I have even taken my car to three Honda service shops, but they weren't able to make the throttle lighter for me.

Does ANYONE out there have any idea how to make the throttle lighter for me to press (besides loosening the throttle cable inside the engine)?

I would very much appreciate any help you might be able to offer.

Thank you,
Julie

Old 11-06-2012, 10:42 AM

Sounds like the TB is sticking, and/or the cable that is wrapped around where the throttle cable goes is too tight. Not sure how to fix it, except lubricating it, or replacing it.

Can you open the throttle body with your hand easily?

Old 11-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If it's automatic there may be an additional cable linked to the transmission (I'm not sure exactly which model year they went to strictly electronic control). You should try just replacing the cable(s). It is not very expensive.

It could also be that the car is normal but your foot is getting worse.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:22 PM

I checked my receipts and what I didn't mention above is that a Honda service shop did a Throttle Body Service on my car, but it did not make my throttle any lighter. I asked them if they could do anything else to make the throttle lighter, and they said no. They never mentioned replacing the throttle cable.
And, as I had mentioned, I took my car to several mechanics, and no mechanic mentioned replacing the throttle cable. The only thing a mechanic ever did was loosen my existing throttle cable.
As for cvcrcr99's question: I don't know how to open the throttle body with my hand, but I do remember my friend trying it and he was able to open it manually.
Thank you,
Julie

Old 11-12-2012, 08:09 AM
Banned

It's either a sticking throttle body or throttle cable.