Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

? for all Honda Guru's (See If You Know) Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Arrow ? for all Honda Guru's (See If You Know) Need Help

Whats up fellow honda members, I have a good ? for yall. So last week my car started acting funny, cluster started going crazy only when accelerating, then had trouble starting car. So now it wont start unless you push it like a foot and when in nutruel. The selonoid make clicking sound on starter but the main part/starter itself does not turn the motor over unless like i said before you push the car like 6" to 12" after moving it then fires up perfectly fine. Have already replaced the starter and alt and all grounds r clean and new. Let me know what you think peoples so i can look at other options.Trying to get my car back on the road. I am mind boggled on this one. Would appriciate any advice you have "THANKS FOR ANY INPUT" Grounds R CLEAN

Flywheel is good

Old 06-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Check the starter switch at the top of the clutch pedal. It may be damaged or broken.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Recognized HCF Member

before you replaced the starter did you have the autoparts store test the starter?
it might have been fine if your having the same problem with a new starter!

Old 06-01-2009, 09:14 AM
Default ???

Originally Posted by RonJ
Check the starter switch at the top of the clutch pedal. It may be damaged or broken.
Whats up? im going to explain a little better too, So if the car sits still i get nothing, just clicking of Selonoid on the starter but if i have a little roll to car, fires right up, KEEPING CLUTCH TO FLOOR, the starter just turns over fine. The car can barely roll and its fine but its does not roll a hair nothing and also sometimes the seloniod does nothing, Just when you turn key, nothing happens

Old 06-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Default New starter

Originally Posted by addiction2bass
before you replaced the starter did you have the autoparts store test the starter?
it might have been fine if your having the same problem with a new starter!
Yes i had it tested and there was smoke coming out of it, But the car would fire up better before i put the new one on, now it WILL NOT START UNLESS ROLLING, and im not letting clutch out, just the starter turns it over then.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Default Starter switch

Thats the part all the way at top right???

By the way, this is what it has, not stock if this matters, All wires where soildered

And this swap was done last October

Last edited by mj91ef9; 06-01-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The starter switch is at the top of the clutch pedal. If you have a lower switch as well, it's for the cruise control.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Arrow Will check

The starter switch is at the top of the clutch pedal. If you have a lower switch as well, it's for the cruise control.
I will check when wife gets home, She is driving it right now, Runs like a beast when its running .LOL How can i tell if that switch is bad if there is no visual damage,

Old 06-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by mj91ef9
I will check when wife gets home, She is driving it right now, Runs like a beast when its running .LOL How can i tell if that switch is bad if there is no visual damage,
Unplug the switch connector and insert a jumper wire across the two terminals of the wire harness connector. IMPORTANT SAFETY TIP: Put the transmission in neutral. Turn the key to ON(III). If the engine now has no problem starting, then replace the switch.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Rolling the car forward with the clutch pressed down would have no specific effect on starting. Something is just loose. I suggest having someone else turn the key while you tap, shake, etc. the parts of the system. That your "cluster started going crazy" suggests a fundamental problem like bad connections at the battery.

Quick Reply: ? for all Honda Guru's (See If You Know) Need Help