Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

thumping noise in front end replaced Bearings HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 05:40 PM
Default thumping noise in front end replaced Bearings HELP!!!

I am having issues with my 95 Honda Civic. I have been having whup-whup-whup sounds in the front end. I think it is coming from the driver's side. it is loudest between 20-50, not when braking. does not change when steering to right or left. It also causes a slight vibration. This is what I have done, replaced both front wheel bearings, still noisy, Took of rear left bearing, looked bad so I replaced it too, still noisy. when I remove wheel and run the car in gear while wheel is off and rotor is held down with a couple lugs the car makes a little noise and the caliper vibrates. could the rotor cause this even if it happens when I am not braking? what else could it be? PLease Help I am ready to get rid of my beloved civic, this has been a thorn in my side for months, the shops keep telling me I need new bearings but I already had them changed!

Old 05-31-2009, 06:04 PM
June 2010 ROTM

Do you have the right bearings? I have a non-ABS civic and for some reason my front knuckles are from an ABS civic. The bearings for ABS and non-ABS are totally different.

Unless the rotor is EXTREMELY warped I don't think that that's it.

Do you have directional tires?

Did you get new wheels? OR, do you have aftermarket wheels? Our knuckles are hub-centric and a piece behind aftermarket wheels sometimes falls off (that allows the wheels to be hub-centric) while changing tires.

Get you tire inspected/balanced.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:43 AM
Default Bearings

Thanks danomatic, Funny you should bring that up. My civic does not have abs, but the bearings that were made for the non abs models were definately not right, they had different dimensions so I tried the ones made for abs and they were identical to the ones I removed. Not sure about the directional tires thing, but I will check. The first thing I did was replaced two tires that were cupped on the fronts with two newer used tires, that I had mounted and balanced, and that didnt change anything.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:45 AM

Also, No, the wheels are original, and I have had this problem since I bought it. The girl I bought it from smoked a curb on the right side aslo but the noise seems to be coming from the left.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:27 AM
June 2010 ROTM

lol, the rim itself could be bent like this 0 instead of O because of the curb hit.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Recognized HCF Member

dito might try swaping the tires to the rear and see if theres a difference or not.

since you said it has a vibration im gonna agree either the rim is bent outta shape or maybe the alignment.