Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Timing and auxillary belts info

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 03:28 AM
HCF Member
Default Timing and auxillary belts info

Hello ladies and gents, just got my first civic it's a 99 ej9 with D14z2 and noticed the altanator belt is squealing ever so slightly so time to replace as they're brittle and looking very factory spec :/ so a few questions, #1 how hard is it to replace timing and auxiliary belts for someone with no experience of doing it (gotta start sometime)
#2 is there any well know manufacturers that supply all the belts for this engine? Hks, blitz, ect ect (that's timing, altanator, A/C and power steering belts)

Old 07-26-2014, 04:15 AM
HCF Member

Ok so did a bit more research and found a few people on here with similar questions and also checked YouTube (I dont know why I didn't before) and the job doesn't look too challenging but looks time consuming (somthing I dont have much of) as top engine mount need taking off for the timing belt and lower one need taking off for A/C compressor belt so just gonna take it to a registered Honda dealer but still would like to know who manufacturers belts for the d14z2, oem quality belts are good for a stock engine but I dont plan on it being stock for long I know there's not much you can do with a 1.4i but I'd like to try any info appreciated

Old 07-27-2014, 10:12 AM
HCF Member

So I bought "Gates" belts I was recommended to change the tentioner and water pump too (which is what I was gonna do anyway) but just wondering is it a good idea to change the ideler pulley as well, I dont know if they have common problems when belts have been changed like a few other cars I've owned

Old 07-28-2014, 09:12 AM
Recognized HCF Member

To replace A/C belt it's usually easier to undo the two bolts that hold the engine mount to the frame instead of the center bolt. The engine will not fall down, as this mount holds against torque, the big one at the top supports the weight.

When you have the belt off spin the idler pulley by hand and if it makes noise, replace. The pulley should have a standard #6203 ball bearing in it which you can press out and replace separately instead of buying the whole pulley.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:21 AM
HCF Member

Thanks for the info