Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Timing Belt/Water Pump replace

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 10:13 AM
Default Timing Belt/Water Pump replace

Hey everyone, I need to replace my timing belt and water pump in my '95 EX. Is there anyone who has a step-by-step on this? I am pretty handy with the tools and can put anything back together that I take apart, but it's nice to have some guidance. How long does this usually take? Thanks for the help.

Old 08-03-2004, 05:06 PM
NTX
HCF Member
Default RE: Timing Belt/Water Pump replace

Best thing to do is run down to your auto parts place and scoop up a Chilton or something like it.

Old 08-03-2004, 06:29 PM
HCF Member

i know any mechanics out there will laugh at me for pushing them so much, but I use my haynes manuals all the time. it is written in more plain english than the other manuals you might use. its very straightforward, and has helped me many times. they are based on a complete tear-down and rebuild of each car, so they have pictures through most projects. but while youre out picking up a manual, ill save you a trip, go to the honda dealer and pick up a tube of Honda-Bond. its a sealant that works for just about anything. from tranny cases to thermostat housings and waterpumps.

Old 08-19-2004, 06:05 PM

Hey everyone! Well, I replaced my timing belt and water pump last weekend and it was a chore. I used a Haynes manual and it was very, very helpful. I have a 1995 Civic EX and the only thing that was different in the book was that I didn't need to take off the alternator or AC unit. The crankshaft pulley bolt was a bitch to get off, but once you get that off it's smooth sailing. Make sure that when you replace the timing belt that you line up all points on the crankshaft and camshaft pulley so your timing is not off. Good luck...

Old 08-20-2004, 07:48 PM

Sacicons/JJ

I read this in passing. I'm trying to locate a coolant problem and wonder if its the pump. Is the water pump part of that mess gopng on around the timing belt on all Hondas? Mine also has the AC and alternator down there. There are some sorry noises coming from that area!

Old 08-21-2004, 02:16 AM
HCF Member

if you take the plastic covers off of the water pump/ timing belt, then you can see the water pump. it has 2 small holes in the back edge of it. when its running and has coolant (if its leaking, dont waste money on coolant till you fix it, just use tap water) water will come out of those holes. they are called weep holes, thats what theyre for. they leak when the pump goes out.

Old 08-22-2004, 07:39 PM

Thanks

I'll take a look when I can get the timing belt cover off. I'm presently putting red food colouring in the (tap) water so that I can locate the leak - if its coming out of the pump I should see it straignt away. For the time being I have no idea where its coming out.