Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Timing Issue????

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 02:57 PM
HCF Member
Default Gettin Dirty

Im currently doing it right now, got p/s and alt belts off, was at the point of taking off crank pulley but going to check all my timing marks first, if it has not skipped a tooth and all my marks line up what else could my problem be. The car idles really low, and sputters when i take off, once i hit 3k rpm the car takes off like its poppin vtec.

The main reason this is a problem is because of the way my car sounds when accelerating i got pulled over the other day and was written a ticket for modified exhaust. I tried to explain the car was running bad and it wasnt a cut cat that heard but the sound of my car stalling, he didnt agree and wrote me a ticket. So im hoping once i get this issue solved i can go get my ticket signed off.

Please anyone feel free to chime in. Can i adjust timing at distributor so it will run right, at least to get my ticket signed off? Or do i have to do it at the timing belt?

Old 10-31-2012, 04:06 PM
Recognized HCF Member

So you don't know yet if the marks line up?

It could also be that your exhaust system is actually broken. The engine won't run well without some back pressure.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:25 AM
HCF Member

I replaced the timing belt, all of the marks line up, everything looks perfect, but with everything set at tdc the car will not run, i had to advance the timing on the dizzy as far as it would go, and still it bogs sometimes when taking off from a dead stop, and sitting at a dead stop for too long the car dies unless i sit there and keep the revs up.

I really dont know what the problem could be but i need to get this fixed.