Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 06:36 AM
Default Tranny issues

My 97 civic ex was driving fine then the other day I left my house and went to shift into third and I couldn't find third gear. I pulled over and worked the gears back and forth and it seemed real hard shifting even in neutral. So I checked my fluids an it was all good. I kept driving thinking something might have been froze. Then I sprayed all the linkage with dry graphite lube. And worked it. Seemed to help a little. It mainly shifted fine until third them it'd shift fine to fourth an Fitth but I couldn't get it back in fourth after I left fifth. Then I was driving it and I could hear like a clicking in 3rd and fourth so I didn't know if it was the synchros or the cv, then it made a loud click when I shifted out of Fifth and the only way I could get it back into fifth was to double clutch it . Then when I got home I noticed it was leaking fluid out from the back of the tranny. I couldn't tell if it was gear oil, or motor oil. I couldn't find where it's leaking, bell housing maybe? I'm not sure. Need help. Please and thanks!