Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Tranny problems- again.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 06:10 AM
HCF Member
Default Tranny problems- again.

People,

Drove my 2001 civic ex about 30 miles, then car wouldnt go anymore, so figured trans problem. Didnt want to push it so had tow truck tow to my home. This morning, with cold engine, started car, put in reverse, it moved. Then forward, and it drove forward also, very nicely, back a few yards to the parking spot. So, tranny doesnt seem to be totally bad, right??

But engine pictogram is on. Should I drive it (risky?) to local AZ for a free scan of the code? This is the 2nd rebuild on this car, 140,000 miles.

Friend told me it should be a clogged internal filter, and to not take a chance driving it to AZ, even for the scan. To remove the trans, and "unclog" the filter/change it out.

What should I do?

Thaks!!

Old 02-25-2017, 09:00 AM
HCF Member

Now, lets say it is just a clogged internal filter- isnt that just drop the "pan" and remove/replace? Does my car have a pan to drop, or must one remove the entire trans?

Thanks

Old 02-25-2017, 12:16 PM
HCF Member

Oh- when I stopped the car right before calling a tow truck, I smelled burnt rubberish odor from engine bay. And saw a little smoke.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:06 AM
HCF Member
Default tranny

A friend here at work has several Civics, as he has several kids, and he has gone through a bunch of transmissions, including one in his Honda van that was only adult driven. Honda auto transmissions are weak. The clutch packs disintegrate, throw fibrous garbage into the system, the internal filter clogs up, the car quits moving. It is only a matter of time, or so I've witnessed at least 4 to 5 times with him including salvage yard replacement transmissions. Trying to drive it will result in an overheated torque converter thus trashing it as well. Headgaskets are another weak spot. The nature of this beast. Sorry.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:02 PM
HCF Member

Thanks, Ed. So i should update: garage said it was an engine code for TDC sensor. Yipee. They did that for a fair price, no tranny issues!!

Where that burning smell came from I dont know.